Lurching,missing truck on vacation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nukegm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Comrades
My 2500 6.4 is running erratic 1000 miles from home.
Light throttle missing, lurching and bogging in wrong gear. No evidence of this on tachometer.
Feels trans related to me.
Does it in normal driving mode and tow haul also.
Opened hood checked for anything obvious, loose nothing found. All stock truck but muffler.
Was recently at ram dealer for t15 solenoid pack recall.

This is of course while I'm visiting my pop far from home.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks in advance. Cheers.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Wires, plugs, and coil packs look good? If not that then it could be fuel related. Last time a gas vehicle did something like that to me it was clogged injectors from bad gas.

chrisg331

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 2500 Laramie CC LB 4x4
Engine
Cummins
No codes? Cold and warmed up? I'm with ST...check plug wires/coils in the dark with someone revving the motor....possibly arcing to the block...fuel pressure is harder to check....MAF can be checked with a multi-meter

MN-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Is this under light acceleration, while still rolling at about 10-20 mph?

Or is it happening in all conditions?

If it is the first scenario, does it go away if you press the accelerator harder? If so, this is somewhat common with the 6.4 HD's.

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

If it is the first scenario, does it go away if you press the accelerator harder? If so, this is somewhat common with the 6.4 HD's.

Mine does not do this, it is silky smooth..

Wonder if it has to do with the EGR issue some had, I think theres a tech bulletin on it?

OP
OP
N

nukegm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi

just did it for about 40 miles non stop from idle to 1500. mash the pedal and it runs great. feels like bad gas to me in a old carb car....does it worse in any lower gear because you can feel it more the lower the gear is. truck only has 19k on it. I'm beyond irritated.

no check engine light or whatever this thing has in it....

the last dealer to touch it looked at a possible egr recall and the t 15 recall solenoid pack on the trans...

thanks again for the input. if i can get a can of heet i might try that. but always use top name brand gasoline...

cheers!

Terry3blue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I had mine do it twice it has 11000 miles on it with both recalls already done. It was like a low rpm low speed surge like old school cam at low rpm. Little tap of throttle and it disappeared, I figure a drive by wire or computer issue. Or maybe computer forgot to tell engine to come out of 4 cylinder mode who knows.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
mine does something similar to that too. usually at low speed, low RPM with light throttle and usually in the wrong gear. theres a 'warble' as in slight detectable surges of power/RPMs not registering on the tach. gas it, and it goes fine.

I'm attributing it to the torque converter not making up its mind due to the above variables. Mostly the TCM keeping the truck in the wrong gear. 4th while going 15 - 20 mph with not enough gas to force the down shift.

OP
OP
N

nukegm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
This am tossed some heet in 1/2 tank. Topped off tank. Truck basically died twice awhile later. Push on gas slightly and nothing but jerking. At dealership now. Told service writer that only people who have touched the truck were boulder ram in Colorado. They did the trans recall and looked at the egr.

Will keep posted.
Shoulda drove my 91 Subaru here. It has 370,000 on it and has never stranded me once in 20 years.

MN-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Sound so like you might have a little bit of a different issue than the standard shudder.

OP
OP
N

nukegm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Best part is dealer thinks it's the t case. Which is just along for the ride at any given time....lordy!

OP
OP
N

nukegm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
It appears to be fixed.
Pcm update for engine and transmission.
I'm still sceptical. However it's driven ok for about 15 miles...

For my 8 days off all year, truck has been in shop 4.

Hopefully it will settle down for a long while.

Cheers!

chrisg331

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 2500 Laramie CC LB 4x4
Engine
Cummins
Well I didn't see that coming...good luck brother.....that's no way to spend a vacation:-(