Magnum rocker arms?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goodtodoo

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996 indy pace truck
Engine
So I,m putting my basket case back together and I notice that there are 2 types of arms. If you look at the oil transfer passages you will see what I,m talking about. When I put these on is there an order for them or just put them on. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20170512_184350.jpg
    IMG_20170512_184350.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20170512_184436.jpg
    IMG_20170512_184436.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 41
OP
OP
G

goodtodoo

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996 indy pace truck
Engine
Anyone know about these?

OP
OP
G

goodtodoo

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996 indy pace truck
Engine
If you don,t know the answer just say I don,t know. I already said its a basket case I got already taken a part. Clearly the oil passages where the fulcrum mounts to the rocker are different.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Hate to be a **** but ONLY 1 TYPE OF ROCKER WAS USED. Really shouldn't re-use a stamped rocker anyways if you don't know where it was to begin with. Its also possible that it's a replacement from a previous owner or are they all like that?

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
If you don,t know the answer just say I don,t know. I already said its a basket case I got already taken a part. Clearly the oil passages where the fulcrum mounts to the rocker are different.
:Angry:

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
I know its a dead horse by now, not that it's ever stopped me before :roflsquared:

There is a very good reason why you label everything, in this case its too late for that, i'm not going to chastise you as it won't fix anything.

However, you will be fine in the short/medium run you'll be fine just putting them back on there any old way. It'll be fine for awhile, you'll just want to run the cheapest conventional oil possible and change it after a couple thousand miles as there is going to be a lot of tiny almost visible metal shavings from the pieces wearing down all the high spots from mismatched parts.

In the long run you'll run into increased wear on all the parts of the valvetrain. The pieces wear together to provide the most contact possible between parts, this results in valve train stress being evenly distributed over the most area, mismatching parts can result in high spots between parts. If those high spots aren't broken off rather quickly, it will cause a lot of stress on the corresponding parts, the rocker arms won't care, but valve stems and pushrods will. Worst case, the metal chips and you have what is essentially a chisel working away on your rockers, valves, pushrods or lifters. Over 40K miles the damage can be quite visible. In diesels it can result in broken parts as soon as 10K miles after assembly. Diesels have much more stress on the valvetrain than gas engines, but the damage is still done, just over a longer time. If you're lucky everything will be fine for the rest of the life of the truck, if not, worst case, you'll be replacing pistons and heads, cams and lifters.

OP
OP
G

goodtodoo

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996 indy pace truck
Engine
There are 8 of each, that's why I want to know if I should have 1 of each on each cylinder. Or if 2 of the same would alright on 1 cylinder. And believe if I had taken this apart myself I wouldn,t be asking. Thanks.