Making simple upgrades while under warranty without voiding it...

Discussion in 'Garage' started by corneileous, Nov 5, 2017.

1. BIG RED HEMI

BIG RED HEMI Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4/392
    I just installed a Diablo tuner, but I purchased the modified PCM instead of having my original one sent it to be modified. It's more expensive that way, but If I need warranty work done I just swap the PCM's and bring it in.

2. corneileous

corneileous Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    I always wondered how that worked. I take it your odometer information isn’t stored on your computer?

I’m just curious but wouldn’t the Chrysler computer at the dealer shop see something out of the ordinary about inconsistencies with a huge gap from when the original was last accessed?

That computer swapping just sounds fishy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3. BIG RED HEMI

BIG RED HEMI Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4/392
    I'm not sure what the PCM tracks as far as mileage or date last accessed, but I'm hoping that won't be an issue. I haven't had to take it in yet for anything warranty related yet.

4. corneileous

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Yeah I dunno. I have no idea how that would work and probably never will because considering the very, very minute changes I got on my old truck with my DS Trinity, I just can’t see the justification of spending that kinda money on a new tuner and a computer for the very little change in performance. It’s just not worth it to me.

5. grizzstang

grizzstang Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    On my Ford the mileage was definitely in the PCM but I am not sure how the Ram works.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the programmer and the difference in performance with the custom tune was very noticeable but it is not worth the risk for me anymore.

6. corneileous

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    See that was me, and that was even on the 91 octane performance tune for a CAI and a cat-back exhaust. The rare times I’d get to run the 93 octane performance tune- didn’t get to play much with that tune because living in my neck of the woods in Oklahoma, nobody sold 93 octane gas so every time for a while going to Texas I’d fill up and retune but, in all honesty, I couldn’t tell a difference between the two so I quit retuning.

But at least I can add tho, if I would’a known that having the tuner plugged into the truck all the time was gonna cause radio interference issues with the key fob communications with the truck and mess with the signals from my wheel sensors to the TPMS brain I coulda saved about a total of close to 300 bucks by only getting the In-Tune model over the Trinity and not buying the replacement A-pillar cover for one with a gauge hole and a gauge-hole mount.