Manifold leak/tick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1SilverBullet2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn 8 speed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I'm pretty sure my 2012 has the leaking manifold, it ticks at start up even after awhile of idling and even when it's hot it ticks. I haven't looked up at the manifold to check the bolts but it definitely sounds like an exhaust leak. My question is I'm gunna call my stealership tomorrow and tell them my manifold is leaking and if I have them check it out but if for some reason they don't find anything or argue against me will they charge me a fee for just troubleshooting? I know it sounds like a dumb question but I've never messed with warranty work before with my own vehicle and I can't foot a bill for just troubleshooting if they're gunna be idiots.

Sent from the howitzer

mattstertx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I believe there have been recalls for the manifolds on our 4th gens but don't quote me on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
1SilverBullet2

1SilverBullet2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn 8 speed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
K cool, I still have the 100k mile warranty. I'll call them and set up a time, so my mileage is 80,900 miles do you guys do trans flushes at all? I know from 2nd gens not to mess with that at all, and if not a trans flush how about a fluid and filter replace?

Sent from the howitzer

CLOUDL1GHT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins HO
lucky you. I don't have a warrantee and mine sounds like someone is knocking on the side of the truck lol. I'll probably just do shorty headers (I have a custom true dual and don't want to change it again for long tubes)

Also for the transmission, I suck out all the fluid in the pan and replace that every other oil change so the fluid is always fresh.

sicmadek

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 express qc
Engine
hemi 5.7
I know thad discovered that his evap solenoid valve ticks pretty loud. Its located next to the tb i believe.

OP
OP
1SilverBullet2

1SilverBullet2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn 8 speed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Evap canister and stuff were replaced when my pickup got to the dealer but it's pretty clear its my exhaust leaking. My last trans fluid and filter change didn't go so hot, followed how much fluid to fill and everything but I cannot get a correct reading for the life of me, it's never the same on the dipstick when I check it even it's 20 seconds between checks. I'll see what a fluid and filter change will cost me tomorrow.

Sent from the howitzer

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
So I'm pretty sure my 2012 has the leaking manifold, it ticks at start up even after awhile of idling and even when it's hot it ticks. I haven't looked up at the manifold to check the bolts but it definitely sounds like an exhaust leak. My question is I'm gunna call my stealership tomorrow and tell them my manifold is leaking and if I have them check it out but if for some reason they don't find anything or argue against me will they charge me a fee for just troubleshooting? I know it sounds like a dumb question but I've never messed with warranty work before with my own vehicle and I can't foot a bill for just troubleshooting if they're gunna be idiots.

Sent from the howitzer

Depending on your warranty you may be charged a diagnostic fee. To see what’s covered under warranty please visit Ram Trucks Warranty - Pickup Trucks, Work Trucks & Vans. Thanks – Kevin T, Social Connect Team

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
If you're under 80k miles the manifolds and bolts, as well as the entire emissions system, are covered under warranty. That's a federally mandated warranty.

OP
OP
1SilverBullet2

1SilverBullet2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn 8 speed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
And my dealership called my today and said they never found any manifold leaks, broken bolts or lifter noise so unless the Hemi's are just a noisy engine I'm not totally sold. Still sounds like it has a leak

Sent from the howitzer

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Easy way to see if you have a broken manifold bolt is to pull on the heat sheild (obviously not after its been running) if you can move it it's a broken bolt. Just did 2 on my 2010 with 150k.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
If you're under 80k miles the manifolds and bolts, as well as the entire emissions system, are covered under warranty. That's a federally mandated warranty.

You sure about that. I called my dealer about the manifold bolts be broken. Even though he seemed like he had no idea what I was talking about, but he said that's not covered if your out of warranty.

Maybe I just need to bring it in.

I looked it up online and I think the only thing covered under that 80K emissions warranty is the Cats and PCM.

OP
OP
1SilverBullet2

1SilverBullet2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn 8 speed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
They did remove the heat shields and saw no broken bolts of soot trails. Never charged me a dime for troubleshooting either.

Sent from the howitzer

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They did remove the heat shields and saw no broken bolts of soot trails. Never charged me a dime for troubleshooting either.

Sent from the howitzer

That's good to hear. I need to bring my in to see what they say.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
You sure about that. I called my dealer about the manifold bolts be broken. Even though he seemed like he had no idea what I was talking about, but he said that's not covered if your out of warranty.

Maybe I just need to bring it in.

I looked it up online and I think the only thing covered under that 80K emissions warranty is the Cats and PCM.

I'm positive about that.

Read:

https://www3.epa.gov/obd/pubs/420f15035.pdf

Your manifolds are covered for 8/80k. If a bolt is broken that causes a leak which is covered by the emissions warranty.

The monkey answering the phone at the dealer doesn't know wtf their talking about, obviously.

Last edited:
OP
OP
1SilverBullet2

1SilverBullet2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn 8 speed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's good to hear. I need to bring my in to see what they say.

Yeah I was suprised they never charged me, I was ready to rip into them if they did. Never liked this dealership or every will and they like to screw a guy whenever possible so I'm always on my toes for the once a blue moon reason Im there.

rblakes1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I took my 2012 2500 in for that, and it was covered under the 100k mile warranty. I think I was up around 90k on the truck at the time

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I took my 2012 2500 in for that, and it was covered under the 100k mile warranty. I think I was up around 90k on the truck at the time

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

The emission warranty? I think it's 80K