Manifold leak/tick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jlpowell84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am interested in all of this. So far I have been under the impression Hemi's are jus noisy and that some have the "Hemi Tick." And especially after going from the little shielded cast stock manifolds vs. 304 stainless long tubes that engine noise is increased due to thinner walls of the aftermarket headers.

My headers were put on about 5-6 tanks of gas ago and have been wanting to give the bolts a little push to see if they needed a slight re-torque after the initial install.

BigRed4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dropped my truck off at the dealer for this issues last night. I'll update when I have more info.

I'd also like to give a shout out to RAMCARES for assisting with this and securing a dealer paid rental. Thanks Kevin!

A side note, I upgraded the rental from a dodge dart to a 2016 Ram 2500! Because Merica!

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Dropped my truck off at the dealer for this issues last night. I'll update when I have more info.

I'd also like to give a shout out to RAMCARES for assisting with this and securing a dealer paid rental. Thanks Kevin!

A side note, I upgraded the rental from a dodge dart to a 2016 Ram 2500! Because Merica!

Wish my truck was still under warranty.:(:(:(:(:(

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a

Happy to help! - Kevin T, Social Connect Team

BigRed4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Hey Kevin here is an update.

I went down to the dealership today and spoke with the tech. He is well aware of the manifold bolt issue/hemi tick and believes that is the case with my truck but was not able to find any broken bolts. He said that you can still hear the tick sometimes if the exuast and headers connection shifts or slides a bit due to the pressure. He said also the hot weather we are having isn't helping because it's more pronounced when it's cold. I think that's how he put it.

They are keeping it one more day so he can get out his fiber optic camera to see if the bolts have moved causing wear and/or are appearing to be close to breaking. I understand it wouldn't be covered unless the bolts break but after speaking with him he stated that it's only a matter of time before they due brake. Unfortunately my warranty will expire in about 7,500 miles.

Last edited:

fire101fighter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
RAMCARES Help please

Very interesting information. I just starting having the same issue of the exhaust tick at start up and dissipates once the exhaust and the truck is warm. I called the local dealer about the issue and they were no help. I tried explaining the EPA Federally Mandated Warranty and the lady on the other end just blew me off. RAMCARES, is there any way you can help me out???? My truck is a 2010 CrewCab Short bed with the 5.7 Hemi and has just under 72,000 miles.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Hey Kevin here is an update.

I went down to the dealership today and spoke with the tech. He is well aware of the manifold bolt issue/hemi tick and believes that is the case with my truck but was not able to find any broken bolts. He said that you can still hear the tick sometimes if the exuast and headers connection shifts or slides a bit due to the pressure. He said also the hot weather we are having isn't helping because it's more pronounced when it's cold. I think that's how he put it.

They are keeping it one more day so he can get out his fiber optic camera to see if the bolts have moved causing wear and/or are appearing to be close to breaking. I understand it wouldn't be covered unless the bolts break but after speaking with him he stated that it's only a matter of time before they due brake. Unfortunately my warranty will expire in about 7,500 miles.

Thanks for the follow-up. If the dealer does not see a reason to repair the vehicle at this time, unfortunately, there is not much I am able to do to assist. Can you provide me with an update tomorrow after the tech takes a closer look at the vehicle? Thanks! – Kevin T, Social Connect Team

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Very interesting information. I just starting having the same issue of the exhaust tick at start up and dissipates once the exhaust and the truck is warm. I called the local dealer about the issue and they were no help. I tried explaining the EPA Federally Mandated Warranty and the lady on the other end just blew me off. RAMCARES, is there any way you can help me out???? My truck is a 2010 CrewCab Short bed with the 5.7 Hemi and has just under 72,000 miles.

If the dealer is unable to duplicate the noise, then it will be extremely difficult for the dealer to accurately diagnose your concern. Was the dealer able to duplicate the noise? – Kevin T, Social Connect Team

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Have you had them look at it and verify that it is even a bad manifold causing the tick? Or are you just guessing based on this thread? Either way, I don't believe a failed manifold is covered under the 8/80 federal emissions warranty. Pretty much just cats and PCM maybe.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Have you had them look at it and verify that it is even a bad manifold causing the tick? Or are you just guessing based on this thread? Either way, I don't believe a failed manifold is covered under the 8/80 federal emissions warranty. Pretty much just cats and PCM maybe.

All emissions components are covered under the 8/80. Manifolds, CAT's, EGR, etc. Basically, anything CAT forward. If your vehicle is releasing non-catalyzed exhaust that is an emissions issue.

I had both manifolds replaced on my Titan under the 8/80 for being cracked/warped. A broken bolt can lead to a warped manifold. That's why it's important to have the dealer fix a failed bolt. If the manifold is warped just replacing the bolt won't solve a leak.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
All emissions components are covered under the 8/80. Manifolds, CAT's, EGR, etc. Basically, anything CAT forward. If your vehicle is releasing non-catalyzed exhaust that is an emissions issue.

I had both manifolds replaced on my Titan under the 8/80 for being cracked/warped. A broken bolt can lead to a warped manifold. That's why it's important to have the dealer fix a failed bolt. If the manifold is warped just replacing the bolt won't solve a leak.

I'm telling you I don't think it's covered. I wish it was. You just have a nice dealer I guess.

Page 19
http://www.dodge.com/crossbrand/warranty/pdf/2015-Dodge-Generic_Warranty-1st.pdf

rduchateau2954

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you're under 80k miles the manifolds and bolts, as well as the entire emissions system, are covered under warranty. That's a federally mandated warranty.
You 100% on this? My 2011 is at 60k but the factory warranty is expired.

Sent from my AS985 using Tapatalk