MarshRam's Murdered 2014 SLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

50BMG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks, it's a lot of work and cash. I know most everyone here can relate to how modding consumes you. Lol....

Yes, modding does get a hold of you doesn't it! But yours looks great so far!

One suggestion from the peanut galley (me); remove the RAM 1500 from the door, if not the engine badge too. They are only stickers, so on a hot Florida summer's day, leave the truck out in the sun for a while, get some dental floss to work in behind the badging, and they will peal right off once you get them started usually. If not, careful use of a heat gun can allow you to do this work in your garage. Any glue residue is easily removed with store bought adhesive remover and a cloth, or even mineral spirits and a soft cloth works very quickly for this too. Rewax the door/panel after either.

I only have the engine badge on mine, but even with just the engine badge minimally, the truck looks so much "cleaner" without the big-ass RAM 1500 badging, let alone it makes it so much easier to clean and wax, especially after doing some mud-whomping...
Just a personal pref. and suggestion. Your mileage may vary...
;-)

Also, being in Florida (usually at least 40+ degrees all year where you are, right?) , have you even thought about upping the weight of your motor oil to a 10W30?
Believe it or not, I did this one summer up here in MI. (semi-accidentally) and I realized @ a 10% INCREASE in fuel efficiency!
I've discussed this phenomenon with Dodge, Ford, and even Chevy engineers (being in the Detroit area CAN be handy in this respect) and all of them scratch their head as to exactly why, but I've documented it on multiple occasions and IT IS true in my experience. My only personal conclusion is that the heavier weight oil "sticks" to the metal surfaces better or minimally, the amount that does "stick" is a thicker/more substantial film than the 5W variety, so it must reduce internal engine friction to cause the slight increase in fuel economy, especially at start up and when the engine is still running "cold".

Granted, due to MI. winters, I would never run anything but the designed 5W weight when it gets as cold as it does up here, but if you don't deal with those temps ever, in reality, you barely even NEED the dual weight oils.
Another thing which IS true about modern/dual weight oils is that the farther the numbers are apart, the worse the oil will "behave" at either extreme. This is due to the increased number of additives/dispersants that are needed to be put into the oil to make it behave "differently" than it naturally wants to. So, even though it isn't a "ton" different, a 10w30 oil will act slightly "better" at high temps, and more like a "real" straight 30 weight oil in that temp. range than a 5w30 oil will act like "30" at those same higher temps.
Of course a 5W variety WILL be more "fluid" in cold (sub 40 degree) weather than the 10w variety will, but this is only a real issue if it actually gets "cold" in the first place... Again, there are not a lot of "cold weather" differences between straight "5" and straight "10" anyway... Again, YMMV... ;-)

In my fun-car (Superformance AC Cobra replica, 520 Cu.In. Big Block) I usually run straight 30 weight oil in that because that car never sees driving in anything but warm weather. When I DO drive it I'm "on it" which sometimes includes track driving or the drag strip runs. Since I even store the car inside my warehouse in the winter, when I periodically start the beast when the snow is flying outside, that too is not a really an issue which requires the use of a dual-weight oil...

Just a thought (or two)...

Again, NICE TRUCK!!!

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
She's a looker for sure. Love what your doing with it!

OP
OP
MarshRam

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, modding does get a hold of you doesn't it! But yours looks great so far!

One suggestion from the peanut galley (me); remove the RAM 1500 from the door, if not the engine badge too. They are only stickers, so on a hot Florida summer's day, leave the truck out in the sun for a while, get some dental floss to work in behind the badging, and they will peal right off once you get them started usually. If not, careful use of a heat gun can allow you to do this work in your garage. Any glue residue is easily removed with store bought adhesive remover and a cloth, or even mineral spirits and a soft cloth works very quickly for this too. Rewax the door/panel after either.

I only have the engine badge on mine, but even with just the engine badge minimally, the truck looks so much "cleaner" without the big-ass RAM 1500 badging, let alone it makes it so much easier to clean and wax, especially after doing some mud-whomping...
Just a personal pref. and suggestion. Your mileage may vary...
;-)

Also, being in Florida (usually at least 40+ degrees all year where you are, right?) , have you even thought about upping the weight of your motor oil to a 10W30?
Believe it or not, I did this one summer up here in MI. (semi-accidentally) and I realized @ a 10% INCREASE in fuel efficiency!
I've discussed this phenomenon with Dodge, Ford, and even Chevy engineers (being in the Detroit area CAN be handy in this respect) and all of them scratch their head as to exactly why, but I've documented it on multiple occasions and IT IS true in my experience. My only personal conclusion is that the heavier weight oil "sticks" to the metal surfaces better or minimally, the amount that does "stick" is a thicker/more substantial film than the 5W variety, so it must reduce internal engine friction to cause the slight increase in fuel economy, especially at start up and when the engine is still running "cold".

Granted, due to MI. winters, I would never run anything but the designed 5W weight when it gets as cold as it does up here, but if you don't deal with those temps ever, in reality, you barely even NEED the dual weight oils.
Another thing which IS true about modern/dual weight oils is that the farther the numbers are apart, the worse the oil will "behave" at either extreme. This is due to the increased number of additives/dispersants that are needed to be put into the oil to make it behave "differently" than it naturally wants to. So, even though it isn't a "ton" different, a 10w30 oil will act slightly "better" at high temps, and more like a "real" straight 30 weight oil in that temp. range than a 5w30 oil will act like "30" at those same higher temps.
Of course a 5W variety WILL be more "fluid" in cold (sub 40 degree) weather than the 10w variety will, but this is only a real issue if it actually gets "cold" in the first place... Again, there are not a lot of "cold weather" differences between straight "5" and straight "10" anyway... Again, YMMV... ;-)

In my fun-car (Superformance AC Cobra replica, 520 Cu.In. Big Block) I usually run straight 30 weight oil in that because that car never sees driving in anything but warm weather. When I DO drive it I'm "on it" which sometimes includes track driving or the drag strip runs. Since I even store the car inside my warehouse in the winter, when I periodically start the beast when the snow is flying outside, that too is not a really an issue which requires the use of a dual-weight oil...

Just a thought (or two)...

Again, NICE TRUCK!!!

Thanks! Funny you mentioned the Ram 1500 badge. It has been crossing my mind lately to remove them.

I'm playing with oil right now. Got another 5k to run on what I got, was considering a mixed blend or going 10w30. I'll actually probably try the 10w30 before mixing weights.

I think our minds are floating on the same wavelength. Lol!

OP
OP
MarshRam

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
She's a looker for sure. Love what your doing with it!

Thanks. The day I put those racks on it really started standing out from the crowd. By the way, have you got your rack/basket setup on yet?

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Whoa, 3 crossbars and a hell of a lightbar setup. Nice!

Thank you. Yeah went 3 to help carry the weight of the wheel and tire. got 2-42" in the front and a 45" on the back plus a cube behind the front bars facing the rear for basket lighting in case i need light to see while pulling the spare off the roof. This setup turns night into day lol

OP
OP
MarshRam

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Tail lights done. I'm almost 100% murdered out. Just need to find rims without the cuts.

IMG_20180819_093159.jpg

OP
OP
MarshRam

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Cool. What event was that?

-K

Was a Florida Ram Truck Club (FRTC) meet at Huguenot Park in Northern Florida. Pretty cool to see all those Rams lined up.

Reactions: kad

50BMG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Tail lights done. I'm almost 100% murdered out. Just need to find rims without the cuts.

View attachment 138491

NICE Marsh!
SMOOTH!
Hopefully the door badges being gone completes the "smooth" look?
LoL...
Sorry, but removing the badging is so simple, yet makes the truck look so "custom".
I first experienced this with a good friend of my older brother who took his 1970 Cougar Eliminator and "smoothed" it by removing all the trim items on the body and even going so far as removing the door handles (you opened the car doors with a latch that was hidden behind the front bumper). The simple removal of even just the door handles made that car look so "trick", it was surprising. It really does change the lines of the car/truck entirely.
Since 2005, I have removed the badging from all my Ram trucks (thank goodness they now use "stickers" for badging; they used to use metal studs or even holes in the door panels for screws to go through to attach the badging). Also, if you actually off road the truck, cleaning the 3" thick cakes of mud off the truck the next morning is MUCH easier the less trim you have on the body panels..
If you prep it for off-road, you gotta use it, right?
The night Buster Douglas knocked out Mike Tyson, my friend and I were out 4 wheeling and stuck in the mud one way or another until about 4am in the morning. Since we heard on the radio that Tyson was knocked out, and we of course " VHS video taped" the fight before we went 4 wheeling, we were up until 6am that morning watching Tyson getting knocked out!
That truck is long gone, but I still have the video tape of Tyson's downfall!
LoL...

OP
OP
MarshRam

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Almost forgot to get this discoloration off my truck. Going to need to figure out how to get some white leds in them since apparently everybody makes them with amber leds.

IMG_20180901_192955.jpg
IMG_20180902_152811.jpg

Reactions: JB1
OP
OP
MarshRam

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well what is that in the back of my truck, blacked out Fuel Vapors? Heck yeah!!!

Bye bye Moto Metals. These vapors are going to look much more aggressive and will tie in the final touches of my theme. I will officially be 100% Murdered Out after two years of working on this beast. I can't wait to get these on!

:33:

IMG_20180909_140021.jpg
IMG_20180909_140701.jpg

OP
OP
MarshRam

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Very nicely done, cannot wait to see those wheels installed.

Thanks man. I think these are just what it needed to slap a little more ruggedness on it.

OP
OP
MarshRam

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, I am liking these Fuel Vapors much more. Just what was needed..

Makes me want to wash my truck. Probably going to rain soon. Probably going to crack open a couple cold ones and wash my truck before it rains. Yep, that's a totally illogical decision worth pursuing!

:popcorn:

IMG_20180911_185738.jpg
IMG_20180911_185732.jpg
IMG_20180911_184738.jpg

IMG_20180911_185717.jpg

Bye bye!!!!

IMG_20180909_140021.jpg