Maybe Transmission problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jackhis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi all,
Suddenly, my truck (2001 Dodge RAM 1500, 5.9) lost its power.
It has an automatic transmission, and the engine was running fine, but I could speed up more than 40 mph.
Note: New and full transmission fluid, and it has been running fine for about 6 months, before this problem happened.

What do you guys the problem is?
- Bad Transmission?
- Bad Torques Converter?
- Both transmission and torque converter?
- or something else?

Thanks much in advance for any info.
Jack

bassslayer25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
Hi all,
Suddenly, my truck (2001 Dodge RAM 1500, 5.9) lost its power.
It has an automatic transmission, and the engine was running fine, but I could speed up more than 40 mph.
Note: New and full transmission fluid, and it has been running fine for about 6 months, before this problem happened.

What do you guys the problem is?
- Bad Transmission?
- Bad Torques Converter?
- Both transmission and torque converter?
- or something else?

Thanks much in advance for any info.
Jack

Id say Torque Converter.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
40mph is about when tq lockup begins. Does hitting the OD off button change anything? Any codes?

OP
OP
J

jackhis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
40mph is about when tq lockup begins. Does hitting the OD off button change anything? Any codes?

I wish I am the expert to get those info, before I remove the transmission and torque converter.
I think it is a little bit late to get that info now.
What is your best guess?
Thanks much again

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
I wish I am the expert to get those info, before I remove the transmission and torque converter.
I think it is a little bit late to get that info now.
What is your best guess?
Thanks much again

Autozone will scan the PCM for codes for free. Its never to late to try an easier solution.

Unless you have already tore into it. If you havent you can kill two birds with one stone. Turn overdrive off, and try to get above 40 while going to an autozone. If it fails to get above 40 and or they dont find anything, then you may have to tear into it. The worst thing you can lose is some time and gas.

Can you rev it past 3K rpm in neutral?

OP
OP
J

jackhis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Autozone will scan the PCM for codes for free. Its never to late to try an easier solution.

Unless you have already tore into it. If you havent you can kill two birds with one stone. Turn overdrive off, and try to get above 40 while going to an autozone. If it fails to get above 40 and or they dont find anything, then you may have to tear into it. The worst thing you can lose is some time and gas.

Can you rev it past 3K rpm in neutral?

Damn!
I already took out the transmission and torque converter.
My plan is I will replace the engine oil pan gasket, and the main seal for now. I have a new torque converter, but the BIGGEST problem is I don't have tools to remove the oil pump and other parts.
I guess I can just try to replace the torque convert, and reinstall the transmission or bring it to someone to rebuild it.

OP
OP
J

jackhis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Rear Clutch - Broken Spacer Ring

Hi all!
I was able to remove and replace all the clutch plates for both front and rear, but this is what I discovered: the spacer ring was snapped off a piece that is about 2" long.
Even so, everything is intact, and the problem is I don't know how to remove the "gut" out to replace the spacer ring.
I attached a photo, with 3 arrows marked where the snap off points.
Yes, I do have a service manual, but it has a very poor instruction of how to remove the gut.
Any help to replace this ring would be appreciated.
Jack

MGalleryItem.jpg

MGalleryItem.jpg

Joe w.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
There is videos on YouTube on how to teardown and rebuild these transmissions you may won't to check them out

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Wow those videos almost make me think I could rebuild my transmission. They are so detailed.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
Wow those videos almost make me think I could rebuild my transmission. They are so detailed.

Lots of people are put off by the diagrams, but automatic transmissions are really easy. Well, not harder than their manual counterparts, except the valvebody. But the valvebody only consists of so many parts, its only intimidating because of the diagrams, all it is, is a bunch of springs and ball bearings plus some rods. If you dont take apart the valvebody, its super easy, planetary gears are no more complicated than some munal designs.