Mcgaughy's 2/4 pinion angle question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HamiltonSeth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello Everyone,
Does a Mcgaughy's 2/4 flip kit require shims to correct the pinion angle?
I had thought that the kit moved the rear axel back so that shims would not be needed. Is that correct?
I know there are a few threads out there on this but I just couldn't seem to get my question answered.
I have a 2004 RCSB that I installed the kit on. I do hear a bit of noise from the rear, but it is only when I leave the driveway in the morning. Once I have driven for about 20 seconds it is gone.

Also, I am going to weld the perches sitting on the axel. Should I also weld the new mount that sits inbetween the axel and the leaf springs? This is the C shaped piece, I figure welding it to the stock perch and the axel could only add strength. Your thoughts?

Thanks for your help.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Seth,
There is a lot of information available on the drop/flip kit. I don't use shims on my truck. The axle is located rearward so the the drive shaft doesn't bottom out in the transmission. The new perches that come with the flip kit positions the pinion angle. However hard acceleration can twist the axle on these perches and alter the pinion angle. Which is why it is often recommended that the new perches be tack welded to the axle. There is no need to weld it up solid, just two or three spot welds on the bottom is good. Since you have run yours for a bit I would check to makes sure everything is still in proper alignment before you do the welding. As for noise, if it is an alignment related noise I would think you would have it all the time or maybe a little more under acceleration. Good luck... do you have traction bars?