McGauphys Deluxe on a 4wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BeanRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Who in here has done this. I've got it coming for mine and had a question in regards to using 4wd with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

BeanRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sweet, one guy I read kept destroying his cv and then it ruined the axle housing. Had me worried. Any modifications needed to install the spindles or do they bolt right on?

N1ck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sweet, one guy I read kept destroying his cv and then it ruined the axle housing. Had me worried. Any modifications needed to install the spindles or do they bolt right on?

Maybe he also did lowering springs? I hear you cannot go much lower than 2" with 4wd without running it problems. They bolted right in, no issues.

Last edited:

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
You can go down 3" in the front before you have CV binding issues. GF springs and 2wd spindles are the perfect combo. I destroyed an inner CV in 5 min after installing the 4.5" drop but the Kore inner CVs fixed that problem.

Some guys running the McG spindles have had issues with the inner cv not sitting fully onto the stub shaft and that's where they are tearing up the front seals but if you get them to sit fully seated after torquing the big nut then you're in fine shape.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
You can use a short crush sleeve on the axle end that fits into the spindle to move the axle back towards the diff so it'll seat in the front diff and lock into place,if you have issues with the axle not wanting to stay seated in the diff. The guy to hunt up about the crush sleeve is Dallas Spongberg,you can find him on the same facebook sites we're on Nick.

OP
OP
B

BeanRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Maybe he also did lowering springs? I hear you cannot go much lower than 2" with 4wd without running it problems. They bolted right in, no issues.

Do you have a pic of your spindle from that kit by chance? I want to make sure mine are correct? I read that they need to be relieved on the bottom for clearance?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Do you have a pic of your spindle from that kit by chance? I want to make sure mine are correct? I read that they need to be relieved on the bottom for clearance?

Not anymore,if you're buying a new kit,they should have the hole already in place for the 13 and later lower control arms.It was only the earlier spindles that had to have the hole machined into the spindle.

OP
OP
B

BeanRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not anymore,if you're buying a new kit,they should have the hole already in place for the 13 and later lower control arms.It was only the earlier spindles that had to have the hole machined into the spindle.

Mine don't have a hole, it is machined but not a through hole [emoji19] and it is a brand new kit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Mine don't have a hole, it is machined but not a through hole [emoji19] and it is a brand new kit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You got the right ones ,they'll be okay. Keep an eye on your upper balljoints,supposedly there's been a report or 2 of the upper balljoint popping out on the later 4X4's when you use the shorter 2wd drop spindles.Mine have been on for almost 30,000 miles and don't exhibit any issues ,but I do check them fairly often just to make sure the balljoint hasn't started to **** or pop out of it's hole.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BeanRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You got the right ones ,they'll be okay. Keep an eye on your upper balljoints,supposedly there's been a report or 2 of the upper balljoint popping out on the later 4X4's when you use the shorter 2wd drop spindles.Mine have been on for almost 30,000 miles and don't exhibit any issues ,but I do check them fairly often just to make sure the balljoint hasn't started to **** or pop out of it's hole.

I don't understand the instructions very well for the drop bracket for the rear, what hole do I have to drill?