MDS question (I know, sorry )

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jbaker33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
So I've been reading these forums for a few months now and have searched for the answer but haven't found it yet. I guess it's a 2 part question.

First, I know you can get a programmer/tuner to turn off mds but my question is this: do you have to keep the tuner plugged in the whole time in order for MDS to remain off? I ask because there's no way in hell my wife would let me buy a 400 dollar tuner so I was wondering if I found someone with one, could I plug it into my truck, disable MDS and then unplug the tuner? Or does unplugging it return it back to factory settings?

2nd question is a guy just posted a tuner online for 200. It retails for about 350. He said he bought a diesel truck instead (btw, I have an 06 ram 1500 QC 5.7L 4x4) the tuner is a bully dog 40417 gt platinum. How do I find out if this specific tuner will disable MDS without buying It? Or does anyone know the answer?
Sorry if this is hard to read, I'm 2 days post op from a major spinal surgery and am on heavy pain meds lol. Also, sorry if this isn't posted in the right place, I'm new to this

Thank you in advance to whomever is able to help me

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
1. The answer is No. Once you've downloaded the tune from the programmer to the vehicle, which contains the MDS OFF coding in the tune, you can unplug it and put it away.

2. You can go to BullyDog's website and check on that the included features. My suggestion is don't buy the BullyDog. Get a DiabloSport programmer instead, which can be configured to turn off MDS.

OP
OP
Jbaker33

Jbaker33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
1. The answer is No. Once you've downloaded the tune from the programmer to the vehicle, which contains the MDS OFF coding in the tune, you can unplug it and put it away.

2. You can go to BullyDog's website and check on that the included features. My suggestion is don't buy the BullyDog. Get a DiabloSport programmer instead, which can be configured to turn off MDS.

Ok awesome. Now I just need to find a tuner to borrow from someone lol. Now I'm assuming it has to be a gas tuner, even if I'm only disabling MDS? Actually, I don't think the diesels have mds do they? Lol sorry. But thank you for the info and I've been keeping an eye out for deals on the Diablosport tuner. My mds kicks on and off very erratically, even during acceleration. Drives me nuts. And I'm not a huge fan of driving with the tow/haul button on because with my luck, even if it's not plausible, it'll mess up my tranny

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't have a tuner myself, but I'm given to understand that you can't "borrow" one. Once you connect it to your truck and download the tune, it's "VIN locked" to that vehicle, and can't be used on another one. For an older truck, you should be able to find a used one, but check to make sure it has the features you want and isn't locked to another vehicle.

Hot94Z28

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you want to just turn the MDS off you can do the gear select each time you drive and that will disabled the MDS without a tuner. Only thing is every time you put it in drive you have to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hot94Z28

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Here is a video:

Ramitiner

U.S. ARMY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Once you use the tuner it is married to your vehicle. In order to unmarry it your car has to be brought back to stock... Another words you can't just borrow it.. At least that's how it worked with my old tuner

KansasArt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If your mds is engaging during acceleration, I believe you have other problems.
I do as others have suggested, just use the manual gear select on the steering wheel. It's automatic for me now. I use 5th for in town & 7th for highway.

Nathan Haslag

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep tubers get locked to trucks until you remove them
Not sure if there is any other way to do it it's going to cost money you can't just borrow one

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ok awesome. Now I just need to find a tuner to borrow from someone lol. Now I'm assuming it has to be a gas tuner, even if I'm only disabling MDS? Actually, I don't think the diesels have mds do they? Lol sorry. But thank you for the info and I've been keeping an eye out for deals on the Diablosport tuner. My mds kicks on and off very erratically, even during acceleration. Drives me nuts. And I'm not a huge fan of driving with the tow/haul button on because with my luck, even if it's not plausible, it'll mess up my tranny

1. As stated above, you can't "borrow" a tuner. The tunes become VIN locked to your vehicle so you need to own it.

2. Yes, it has to be a gas tuner built for your vehicle make.

3. No, diesel don't have MDS.

4. It may not be MDS that's turning off and on so much as it is running the transmission in full auto mode. Using the tow/haul button around town is actually preferred (I turned mine off all the time in the 2007 MegaCan) to keep from dealing with the truck trying to find the right gear all the time. It will NOT hurt your transmission.

Get a programmer and custom tune package from one of our supporting vendors here. It will definitely improve the truck's performance, it may improve your highway MPG and there are a lot of other benefits besides just the MDS issue.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What’s your mds doing that you want to turn it off? I have an 08 and I literally can tell no difference when it engages and disengages, I can tell when it’s on though because the engine tone changes very slightly.

Also, a lot of info being posted in here is for 4th gen trucks. You don’t have to put yours back in tow/haul every time you put it in drive, just every time you start the truck. Once you put it in tow/haul you can go from drive to park as many times as you want and it’ll stay activated.

OP
OP
Jbaker33

Jbaker33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
If your mds is engaging during acceleration, I believe you have other problems.
I do as others have suggested, just use the manual gear select on the steering wheel. It's automatic for me now. I use 5th for in town & 7th for highway.

I would use that but don't have that option on my 06. I have P R N D 2 1

OP
OP
Jbaker33

Jbaker33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
What’s your mds doing that you want to turn it off? I have an 08 and I literally can tell no difference when it engages and disengages, I can tell when it’s on though because the engine tone changes very slightly.

Also, a lot of info being posted in here is for 4th gen trucks. You don’t have to put yours back in tow/haul every time you put it in drive, just every time you start the truck. Once you put it in tow/haul you can go from drive to park as many times as you want and it’ll stay activated.

I hate the way it sounds, it makes my truck shake and it often kicks in/out somewhat erratically. Even in tow/haul, it still kicks in, just not as often. Hell If I'm in town I'll put it in 2nd just so I don't have to hear it kick in and out lol

OP
OP
Jbaker33

Jbaker33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
1. As stated above, you can't "borrow" a tuner. The tunes become VIN locked to your vehicle so you need to own it.

2. Yes, it has to be a gas tuner built for your vehicle make.

3. No, diesel don't have MDS.

4. It may not be MDS that's turning off and on so much as it is running the transmission in full auto mode. Using the tow/haul button around town is actually preferred (I turned mine off all the time in the 2007 MegaCan) to keep from dealing with the truck trying to find the right gear all the time. It will NOT hurt your transmission.

Get a programmer and custom tune package from one of our supporting vendors here. It will definitely improve the truck's performance, it may improve your highway MPG and there are a lot of other benefits besides just the MDS issue.

Ok. I'm for sure going to look into a tuner. It'd be nice to have a tune set up for when I'm towing my camper in the summer. Thanks everyone for taking time to respond, I appreciate it

Docpaulo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
If you can borrow an intune diablosport from a friend.. you can buy an extra license for 100$... and load the tunes... i got the t1000 and it works great..

This assumes your truck is 14 or older... 15 and up trucks need an unlocked pcm

OP
OP
Jbaker33

Jbaker33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
If you can borrow an intune diablosport from a friend.. you can buy an extra license for 100$... and load the tunes... i got the t1000 and it works great..

This assumes your truck is 14 or older... 15 and up trucks need an unlocked pcm

I have an 06 1500. I think I'd have better luck talking my wife into letting me buy one than i would finding someone around here with one lol

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I hate the way it sounds, it makes my truck shake and it often kicks in/out somewhat erratically. Even in tow/haul, it still kicks in, just not as often. Hell If I'm in town I'll put it in 2nd just so I don't have to hear it kick in and out lol
If mds is turning on when you’re in tow/haul mode, something is wrong with the truck. Tow/haul should 100% disable mds.

OP
OP
Jbaker33

Jbaker33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
If mds is turning on when you’re in tow/haul mode, something is wrong with the truck. Tow/haul should 100% disable mds.

Hmm. Ok. Any ideas of what could be wrong? I know I have the hemi tick and it's not from the broken exhaust manifold bolts because I replaced the bolts and the gaskets a month ago. Could that be the cause of the mds acting up?

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hmm. Ok. Any ideas of what could be wrong? I know I have the hemi tick and it's not from the broken exhaust manifold bolts because I replaced the bolts and the gaskets a month ago. Could that be the cause of the mds acting up?
I honestly don’t know what to tell you because I’ve never heard of one doing this before. Its written into the programming that anytime tow mode is on, mds is off. The only thing that I can think of is someone already messed with it with a tuner, but even then I didn’t think you could make mds turn on when in tow mode. The hemi tick isn’t related to the mds. Mine has had the hemi tick it’s whole life. Even with amsoil fluid, didn’t make any difference whatsoever.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have an 06 1500. I think I'd have better luck talking my wife into letting me buy one than i would finding someone around here with one lol

Get you an old unlocked Superchips 3815 or 3865. Usually fairly inexpensive and you can not only tune engine (not custom), but turn off MDS and tune the transmission.