MDS question (I know, sorry )

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Jbaker33

Jbaker33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
I honestly don’t know what to tell you because I’ve never heard of one doing this before. Its written into the programming that anytime tow mode is on, mds is off. The only thing that I can think of is someone already messed with it with a tuner, but even then I didn’t think you could make mds turn on when in tow mode. The hemi tick isn’t related to the mds. Mine has had the hemi tick it’s whole life. Even with amsoil fluid, didn’t make any difference whatsoever.

I'm actually thinking about doing that MDS light diy/hack. That should really clear things up. I don't think I ever noticed it before until I changed the exhaust. It's actually kind of backwoods what I did (No offense to anyone, I'm pretty damn country myself haha). We didn't really nor do we ever have the money to put into my truck like I wish we could (sometimes i have a deathwish and will buy stuff without permission ). Anyways, I decided to take off the rear resonator and see what that sounded like. Not much better than stock, so I took off the stock muffler, leaving from the heads, the 2 cats and one resonator. Well that was a bit much and the wife took my debit card, and also my man card from me so I couldn't get an AM muffler or even straight pipe it. I ended up putting the rear resonator back on to the exhause pipe so now it's the cats and 2 resonators. It does not look pretty under there and after my back is healed from surgery, I'll post a pic so you guys can't point and laugh lol. It actually does sound pretty good when you give her some but isn't obnoxious either. That's when I really started noticing the MDS kicking in and out sporadically, including around 20 mph while accelerating.

OP
OP
Jbaker33

Jbaker33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
Get you an old unlocked Superchips 3815 or 3865. Usually fairly inexpensive and you can not only tune engine (not custom), but turn off MDS and tune the transmission.

Awesome. I'll look those us just as soon as I finish looking for an aftermarket remote starter for my truck and my wife's car. (She don't complain too much when I'm spending the money on her car...)

OP
OP
Jbaker33

Jbaker33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
Get you an old unlocked Superchips 3815 or 3865. Usually fairly inexpensive and you can not only tune engine (not custom), but turn off MDS and tune the transmission.

So those superchip one let you disable mds and tune the engine? That's awesome, those are about half the price as the others. Thanks man, I have never been able to figure out which ones will or won't disable mds so I haven't been looking for any good deals you know

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So those superchip one let you disable mds and tune the engine? That's awesome, those are about half the price as the others. Thanks man, I have never been able to figure out which ones will or won't disable mds so I haven't been looking for any good deals you know

Either the Superchips or Diablo will turn off MDS. For a stock engine with no planned internal mods Superchips is the better tuner (but doesn't allow custom tuning). If you go with a cam, bigger valve heads, etc then you would need custom tuning. Nice thing about tuners is they also do code reading/resetting. Just a note, 3815 isn't capable of trans tuning. Honestly look for a 3865 or newer. You can get the trans tuning and it also has data logging.