MDS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trooper2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wondering how many of you leave the MDS on, turn it off, or programmed it to stay off. I don't think it saves that much fuel and only adds to the wear and tear of the engine overall.

Ram Night

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wondering how many of you leave the MDS on, turn it off, or programmed it to stay off. I don't think it saves that much fuel and only adds to the wear and tear of the engine overall.

I have never liked it at all and have never noticed any fuel mileage gain the crappy way the engine runs at slow speed. I purchased a tuner to turn it off on my 07 Ram and 13 Challenger. Buy on my 17 Sport, I do not want to spend $1000 for a new PCM and Tuner, so I push the speed selector to select 8+ and call it good.
But when they come up with a custom tune that also includes the 8 speed transmission, I might look into a intune tuner then. And I have read about the MDS lifters failing due to failing internal parts so this is another reason to disable it.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I trun mine off everytime I drive.
its worthless and only there for cafe standards.
In perfect conditions it helps but not much in the real world.

JSVT3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I never payed it much attention, but with a new exhaust it drives me nuts. So I disable it every time I drive.

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I turn it off asap. Engine sounds like crap to me with it on. If im on a long stretch of freeway cruising I sometimes engage it but not very often. Where im at my long stretchs are at best an hour drive, so not worth whatever gains might be

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I turned mine of on the 2014 6.4L truck. Had Hemifever include MDS/Off in my custom tune.

Mustangmike66

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
I leave mine on and have had no problems through 39k miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I never payed it much attention, but with a new exhaust it drives me nuts. So I disable it every time I drive.
I don't disable it all the time, but I do disable it. I too have an aftermarket exhaust and it drives me freaking nuts.
I honestly wouldn't mind if the MDS was never on the truck to begin with.

kiloRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Mine comes on so infrequently, I'm not sure it is even worth pushing the gear selector to turn it off. I'd probably wear out the button and only save a couple minutes a week running MDS. I'm curious what the point was putting it on my truck. It mostly only comes on going down hill, and it seems like I am always going up hill (both ways in the snow - even in summer). I wish MDS was not so sensitive.

Curly5759

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So...I just looked at my owners manual. It says no driver input required or available. Other than a tuner, how do you turn it off?

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I only turn mine off when running 55 or slower, anything other than that and I let it ride, it does help my 6.4 as that ****** is thirsty.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So...I just looked at my owners manual. It says no driver input required or available. Other than a tuner, how do you turn it off?

Either by “ Tow Haul “ button or “gear selector” and locking out in certain gears.
I trigger tow haul to disable it and to keep my truck from going into 6th at 45 mph.

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
I never notice it, and it probably does help a little bit to save fuel.

KansasArt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I turn mine off every time via the gear select method. Put it in 5 for in town & 7 for highway. 8 for extended highway time. 5th allows it to stay around 2K rpm give or take. What's the sense of having a decent engine if the tranny is just gonna stay in high gears to keep your rpms low?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
On center console shifter I put mine in 6th and shuts it off. On dash mount shifter, I don't think you can.

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure when MDS kicks on. I have the "Fuel Saver" indicator, and I try to keep it on as much as possible. Is that when MDS is on? Don't know for sure, I've gotten conflicting reports. I never try to turn it off except when towing. I've been running a PC in Eco mode for the last couple tanks to see if that helps mpg.

West27

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did some experiments the other week with having it on and off driving to work (10 miles each way with not a lot of stops) and found my gas mileage was around 1.6mpg better with it on. I think it depends your drive if it is worth leaving it on or not. If I do a lot of stop and go driving I turn it off but if I’m doing highway I leave it on.

West27

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Also gained around .5mpg with mds on and the clutch fan removed. I will always keep the fan off unless I am towing then it is needed.