MDS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I personally think there is too many people ******** about this! You knew when you bought the truck that it had MDS, & it can be turned off with a tune or button. I do agree however for the amount of technology that has gone into it, it does not work as efficient as it could/should. With as heavy as these trucks are I would think that more of a step down process would be more successful. From 8 to 6 cylinders under mild load, & down to 4 when very light load. That is probably just more technology to break down but seems like it might work better for 6-7,000 pound vehicles.
Too bad you didn't design it,........that way we wouldn't have to complain about it. *****
:Big Laugh::Big Laugh::Big Laugh:

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Caddy would probably work better now with the improved computer controls. But then with the improved power/smoothness of smaller engines, it seems like a lot of extra R&D for not much ROI.

Personally, I like the MDS so far, but I also can't really tell when it's on. MDS has been used on Hemi cars for much longer than the trucks, so they've had time to work out a lot of the issues. I love owning a truck, but that doesn't mean I want to get single digit gas mileage.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I believe the coolant temp has to be 120* before mds will activate. I've had MDS Activate when the oil temp is way below 120* but never when the coolant is below 120

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've never had an issue with the MDS , not sure how well it works , but I know this : my old 97 QC 4X4 with the 360 got about 13mpg , now with my same driving style my 2014 Ram QC 4×4 I avg about 19.5 mpg and on long trips (750) miles one way back home I can get about 23.5 mpg .[emoji16][emoji16]
I like the mpgs , but it is more **** to break .

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I use manual mode to turn off the mds every time I get in the truck. I’d probably use it more if it made a difference in fuel mileage.
Kind of along the lines of what R.L.K. Said, I would think they could do better with today’s tech. I had a lifted 1982 3/4ton chevy 4x4, with a built 350. It was big, heavy, and when the quadrajet opened up, it was thirsty.
With that truck, I averaged 13mpg.
I baby my ram compared to how I drove the chevy, and the best I can seem to get is 14mpg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I use manual mode to turn off the mds every time I get in the truck. ...................................
I baby my ram compared to how I drove the chevy, and the best I can seem to get is 14mpg.

Maybe because you turn MDS off... Just sayin':emotions34:

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
One would think that, but I’ve tried it several times, run a tank with mds on, then a tank with mds off, and compare.
Computer usually shows 0.1 mpg difference between on vs off, and hand calculating, it’s even less of a difference.

I’m sure my lift and tires don’t help, but the chevy was lifted with same size tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Fwiw , my hand calculation is usually about 1 to 1.5 mpg
Less than my EVIC #s .
I'm just on stockers and just a level . I'm also a very non aggresive driver .

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I found it doesn't do much on the highway for me, especially since I have the 3.92 rear but on rural backroads with the cruise set and driving 35 - 50 mph I do see close to 30 mpg on the evic so assuming it's within 2mpg thats not bad. I do drive those type roads occasionally and probably more when I retire in a couple years so for me MDS is a plus.