Mirror Wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

randombb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 1998 Ram 1500 with less than 98 thousand miles. I recently bought a 27 foot trailer and the stock mirrors would not allow me to see down the sides of the trailer. So I oped to replace the power and heated mirrors with a set of after market tow mirrors. the first problem i ran into was that on the drivers side, when mounting the top stud was too long and need to be shortened so that it would not hit the switch that activates the mirrors. But the big problem is that when the mirror harness was plugged into the truck harness the mirrors would not activate. the mirrors can be activated by using a small 12 volt battery but not when its plugged into the truck.
So is there a fuse or some thing hidden some where under the dash?

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
I'm going to guess that the switch has not been tampered with, just the wiring.

Seeing as the old mirrors worked but the new ones dont, try hooking one of the old ones back up (no need to install, just plug it in) and see if it works, you can cut almost all of the troubleshooting out if they work.

If not, and they did work before, its likely you blew a fuse, check the image for the location of the fuse for this circuit.

Attachments

• Heated mirror fuse.jpg
    Heated mirror fuse.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 93

Redneck760

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l Magnum
I replaced my oem mirrors as well but ended up getting the manual non heated ones as a gift. So I'm not much help on that end but I had a similar issue when putting in the 3 bolts. 2 seated fine, but the 3rd top one, was a lot longer. I ended up wrapppin it with a shop rag and tightening it in with a pair of channel locks.