MOPAR Backup Camera (82214240) Installed like JeepGuys

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GraniteCrystal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So after many months of deliberation and planning finally installed my OEM backup camera. BUT, I didn't follow the directions in the kit.

What I did was I used the wire in the kit to make my own custom harnesses that mirror jeepguy's harnesses.

So for those who would like to do the same, here are few things that make this install a lot easier.

1. All the pins needed (kit already contains pins for connector at tailgate and radio) can found in any year DODGE CALIBER.
a.) The connector located underneath driver side door on TRUCK can be found on engine harness of CALIBER behind driver side headlight.
b.) The pins needed for white connector under dash on TRUCK are the same pins as the POWER MIRROR SWITCH connector on CALIBER [forward most connector on drivers side window switch bank]
NOTE: CONNECTOR IS NOT THE SAME, BUT PINS INSIDE BOTH ARE THE SAME

To do the install, make the harnesses and install following jeepguy's instructions.

I hope this helps some people who wanted a jeepguy harness, but weren't able to get one.

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Who is JeepGuy? What is wrong with the harness in the kit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Jeepguy_1980 was a former member on here who designed a harness to install the factory backup cam in 2013 and up trucks even before Ram did. He had a side bussiness on here called Ramharness. He passed away sometime ago in late 2014. He was a valued member who helped many others and just an all around great guy.

RIP

Last edited:

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@ GraniteCrystal

Any pictures?

OP
OP
GraniteCrystal

GraniteCrystal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@RLK
No pictures at this time, but I will try to post some up later.

Also, there is nothing wrong with the mopar kit harness, I just didn't want to splice the factory harness on my truck and cut a grommet in the firewall. To me this seemed like a lot cleaner install, compared to what dodge wants you to do.

But for some who don't know, this install will only work for higher trim level trucks (I believe SLT and above).

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks ! I have the Express so I just installed the Kit per th instructions .
I'm somewhat familiar with Jeepguys install.
Do you have active gridlines?

OP
OP
GraniteCrystal

GraniteCrystal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the active grid lines and everything, just like it came from the factory.

Basically the install is just using the already installed wires from the factory and completing the circuit. Rather than the mopar kit, which runs it's own wires and bypasses any factory wires already installed.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
So after many months of deliberation and planning finally installed my OEM backup camera. BUT, I didn't follow the directions in the kit.

What I did was I used the wire in the kit to make my own custom harnesses that mirror jeepguy's harnesses.

@Granite,
did you actually order the Yazaki pins for the other end (Cab end/C322; mislabeled as i220) of the chassis harness connector and crimp em on or did you rob and splice them from another vehicle?

PS:
- I located and updated info on the tailgate connector end (i550) here
(Mouser does have the female 22Awg Sockets 54002220 in stock currently)

- and you can reference the Yazaki and other pin info (courtesy of you and Cptwing) in the original thread's Post 403 for additional connector Pin info.

the original thread's Post 403 for additional connector Pin info[/URL].

and I have created a harness schematic for it:
- JeepGuy1980 Camera Harness Schematic by Mpgrimm2.png

Last edited:

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
OP
OP
GraniteCrystal

GraniteCrystal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mpgrimm2- I didn't order the pins from yazaki because I don't have the tool to crimp them on and didn't feel like buying it, even though that would have been the best way to do it. Instead I got the pins and a little wire from the dodge caliber and used butt connectors to splice them together

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txram956