more cam talk

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance' started by badfish888, Oct 6, 2010.

Sponsored By: Moe's Performance
  1. badfish888

badfish888 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2012 hemi express
    Engine:
    5.7L Hemi
    Ive read quite a few places on the net that there are a decent amount of cams out there that put more hp and torque then the 6.1l cam and still do not requre tuning of any kind. (truck learns the cam i guess?) Does any one here know what cams are availible that do not require tuning, and will put more power to the wheels then the 6.1. Thanks in advance BTW Teach, and Bullet. Ive recruited 4 of my buddies from my station that said they would stick it out for a weekend and help me with the install. and if i do it at work ill have all the tools

2. Silverbullet08

Silverbullet08 Persona Non Grata

like I said in the pm i would go with my original route. the 6.1 regrind. you can make it a torquey cam so it will help out your low end.

3. Off_Road_Teacher

Off_Road_Teacher Banned

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Comp 260 and crazy spartan both come to mind as more powerful cams that don't require much more than a common canned tune. You can get them pretty cheap, like 200 - 250 max when you find used ones on the classifieds.

4. KGBIGCOUNTRY

KGBIGCOUNTRY Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
    Engine:
    5.7 / 5.7
    I had a 6.1 regrind into a Spartan that was an upper end cam, my current is a low end mid with a tight lsa. The regrind was great because it required no tuning at all to work good, but I got the custom tune for a few more hp and trq. What kinda money are you looking to spend and what are you looking for in the end?

5. badfish888

badfish888 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2012 hemi express
    Engine:
    5.7L Hemi
    money wise, no more than 200-250. "kid due in march" what i want tho, my truck is an every day driver for me and my wife. reliability can not be sacrificed. I never tow more than 3k, 14 ft jon boat, or a few deer in the bed. I Love hearing my hemi wind out merging on the highway, or screamin through a tunnel. My low end is just fine (she chirps when floored) id rather not like to loose any but id like it to pull a little harder around 4-4500. Like stated, i do not have a tuner, so it needs to be "learnable" for the truck. and will 6.1 springs be good enough for any cam, or are there better ones out there?

6. OlDirtyJohn

OlDirtyJohn Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2004 Quad Cab 2500 *Sold*
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    from all that i have read, 6.1 springs seem to be the best bet for most any cam.

7. Off_Road_Teacher

Off_Road_Teacher Banned

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.1 springs will handle just about any cam. Now when you say no tuning do you mean not even a canned tune?

8. AF_Hemi

AF_Hemi Senior Member

Central Jersey in person, the burgh at heart
    Ram Year:
    2013 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 Sport
    Engine:
    no cam will run without a tuner i dont think. maybe the 6.1. you'll need at least a superchips or dsp to run with the cam. As for your choices, a regrind would be your best bet. problem is, most of them cost about $200 for the regrind alone, let alone getting the core.

9. Off_Road_Teacher

Off_Road_Teacher Banned

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    I think you are right about the 6.1 running on a stock tune.

10. badfish888

badfish888 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2012 hemi express
    Engine:
    5.7L Hemi
    so seeing as how the slight improvement 6.1, still maybe needs to be tunned. do you guys thing i should hold off on the cam and get me a tuner first? and are the canned tunes already in the tuners? how does that work?