Mpg boost with intake and exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Any of you guys see an increase in mpg with a catback and cold air intake? I understand a heavy duty gasser wont ever be great on gas, but with the miles I drive as a contractor, it would be nice if I could even get 1mpf better. I'm driving about 22000 miles a year and gas will be at $3 a gallon before we know it.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The biggest benefit to mpg is going to be your driving habits. A Cai, Exhaust, & custom tune would help along with 32” or smaller tires and a very light right foot “ No speeding”. All of this combined should up ur mileage... but the question is going to be how much. The hardest one is going to be adjusting your habits... I would do really good some days with mine...Then have a “ Fck it day” and drive my truck like it was a sports car- Even challenge some sports cars while at a roll which just pissed away my previous 3 days of Mpg minded driving lol.

dropkicknick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Almost $3? Where do you live and is there any property for sale? Lol

I just filled the tank with 87 for $3.70 a gallon. I usually do 91 but it was $4

good thing motorcycle weather just got here :happy160:

And to keep myself in check while driving I keep my avg miles per gallon on the screen. People behind me but wallet is loving me for it

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Motorcycle weather is all year round down here. But, I'll be getting off 2 wheels soon anyway.

Premium is just over $3 here last I checked. Yup, land not far from town for sale.

I know what you mean, I can't seem to get through a whole tank without at least one day where I'm on the throttle hard and enjoying the ride.

OP
OP
I

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I live in ga and we have some of the lowest gas prices in the country. I use my truck hauling and towing 5 days a week and it does family and boat duty on weekends. I drive pretty conservative with the exception of going around 5-10 over the speed limit on highways.

I lost a solid mpg going to Mickey thompsons over the stock tires. They are stock size but I guess most be heavier and harder to roll. I'd love to get it back but doubt I will

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Almost $3? Where do you live and is there any property for sale? Lol

I just filled the tank with 87 for $3.70 a gallon. I usually do 91 but it was $4

good thing motorcycle weather just got here :happy160:

It's is averaging $2.59 for 87 here in South Texas and $2.79 for diesel.

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just filled up tonight! $2.45/g for 87. Was pretty happy when I saw the sign here in Central VA

Maize-N-Booze

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
$2.67 for 87 in eastern VA. Have a trip up north coming soon. Not looking forward to their prices

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
The biggest benefit to mpg is going to be your driving habits. A Cai, Exhaust, & custom tune would help along with 32” or smaller tires and a very light right foot “ No speeding”. All of this combined should up ur mileage... but the question is going to be how much. The hardest one is going to be adjusting your habits... I would do really good some days with mine...Then have a “ Fck it day” and drive my truck like it was a sports car- Even challenge some sports cars while at a roll which just pissed away my previous 3 days of Mpg minded driving lol.

Do the math on those things and I think you will find it takes many miles of better MPG to get your money back.

I'd suggest 3 things:
Lucas fuel treatment
Gumout REGANE fuel system cleaner.
A light foot!

iHemiMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
The obvious choice here is to buy a pedal commander and never set it above ECO +4 because we all know that’s what pedal commanders are for [emoji6] #kidding

2016 5.7L Ram 1500 QC

AJAY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Northern Arizona here. $3.34 for 91 octane with 3 cents discount when paying with cash at Chevron. K&N drop in filter and Gibson muffler and Diablo tuner net me about 1.5 mpg better all around.

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The obvious choice here is to buy a pedal commander and never set it above ECO +4 because we all know that’s what pedal commanders are for [emoji6] #kidding

2016 5.7L Ram 1500 QC

I ran my PC in ECO mode for several tanks. Didn't make enough of a difference to bother with.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
The down side of a CAI and Cat-back, or just freer flowing muffler, is they make the RAM sound so good you get into the skinny pedal a lot deeper and more often.
That's no bueno for fuel economy.
You're not going to see a lot of MPG improvement because of the amount of automation. Where my butt dyno tells me there is a difference is in acceleration and changes in A/T shift points.
Of course tuner and PC can adjust factory inefficiencies, but youre still trying to overcome the aerodynamic equivalent of driving a concrete block at freeway speed.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
It's is averaging $2.59 for 87 here in South Texas and $2.79 for diesel.

Same in north Texas (Grayson County)

I Love My 2018 RAM 2500HD 4x4 Off Road. 6.4L. USMC (ret)

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
The down side of a CAI and Cat-back, or just freer flowing muffler, is they make the RAM sound so good you get into the skinny pedal a lot deeper and more often.
That's no bueno for fuel economy.
You're not going to see a lot of MPG improvement because of the amount of automation. Where my butt dyno tells me there is a difference is in acceleration and changes in A/T shift points.
Of course tuner and PC can adjust factory inefficiencies, but youre still trying to overcome the aerodynamic equivalent of driving a concrete block at freeway speed.

Without a doubt a huge cinder block filled with concrete

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Well, at least it doesn't look like a concrete block LOL!

Only in gray or silver colors.