MPG Dropped Drastically

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jjbonk2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Any suggestions to what the problem might be would be appreciated.

2010 Dodge Ram 5.7l, no engine mods besides spintech muffler, complete oil changes on time a regularly. Was averaging 14-15 in city and within the last month or so I'm lucky to get up to 12. Any suggestions on where to look?

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Winter blend gas

What he said

Wouldn't hurt to check your air filter, and plugs but I'm going to say that stuff would be a slow taper on your mpg no as drastic as a tank of gas.

61N150W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Letting it idle/warm up more than usual? Not sure where you're located but tossing that out there.
My truck is running idle for usually 30-45 mins throughout the day (15 in the morning and 15 before leaving work during the winter months). That along with fuel quality drops me an honest 5 mpg for 7 months of the year.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Podcast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've had the same issue on my 13 for a year now since I had the safety recall done. I used to get 20 on the highway easily and sometimes 21. Now I can't even pull 17. I also used to get 17 pulling my boat and now I can't even get 14. Ridiculous. No check engine and RAM wants me to pay for diag. They aren't going to find anything. I already did all maintenance suggested by them with no change. IMO it's a programming issue when they performed the recall. My MDS used to kick on in 5th gear anything above 18 mpg (on the instant gauge) and anything over 20 mpg in 6th gear. Now MDS won't kick in til after 25 mpg in either gear. I drive 80 miles per day so I notice any little difference and this has costed me thousands in fuel costs.

West27

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had the same issue on my 13 for a year now since I had the safety recall done. I used to get 20 on the highway easily and sometimes 21. Now I can't even pull 17. I also used to get 17 pulling my boat and now I can't even get 14. Ridiculous. No check engine and RAM wants me to pay for diag. They aren't going to find anything. I already did all maintenance suggested by them with no change. IMO it's a programming issue when they performed the recall. My MDS used to kick on in 5th gear anything above 18 mpg (on the instant gauge) and anything over 20 mpg in 6th gear. Now MDS won't kick in til after 25 mpg in either gear. I drive 80 miles per day so I notice any little difference and this has costed me thousands in fuel costs.

What recall are you talking about?

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Get a tuner & tune the way you want it if dealer cannot .

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Even the tune off the tuner itself now that its been upgraded with a tranny tune make a nice lil diff..Add a custom tune,toss in a drop in better air filter(cold air intake not worth it to me)and a throttle body upgrade and she will have more zip...Might even tweek the mpg some ..The way winter came on with the cold snap and winter blend fuels,it taxs every engine.....My 18 wheeler even lost almost 2 mpg..

OP
OP
jjbonk2

jjbonk2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Letting it idle/warm up more than usual? Not sure where you're located but tossing that out there.
My truck is running idle for usually 30-45 mins throughout the day (15 in the morning and 15 before leaving work during the winter months). That along with fuel quality drops me an honest 5 mpg for 7 months of the year.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I usually just start it up and drive to work. However my drive is only about 10 minutes. But even when I drove it for long distances I only got up for about 14.5. When I drove it home the day I picked it up (Used) I got up to 21!

OP
OP
jjbonk2

jjbonk2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Even the tune off the tuner itself now that its been upgraded with a tranny tune make a nice lil diff..Add a custom tune,toss in a drop in better air filter(cold air intake not worth it to me)and a throttle body upgrade and she will have more zip...Might even tweek the mpg some ..The way winter came on with the cold snap and winter blend fuels,it taxs every engine.....My 18 wheeler even lost almost 2 mpg..

Saving some money for the tuner but just cant afford the $450 right now. Any recommendations on drop in's you like. I cant justify the CAI either.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Winterblend is a different blend of gasoline additives. Usually drops mpg about 2 mpg. Thatlus some extreme cold temps dropped everyone's mpg.

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Saving some money for the tuner but just cant afford the $450 right now. Any recommendations on drop in's you like. I cant justify the CAI either.

There is a cai mod you can do that does same thing if you do a search..From what the boys say its around $60 for all needed goodys and well ya have to have a few wobbley pops...As for a drop in i cant say,not done enough research to know myself BUT DONT go with a k&n....I did a lil track time on a bike and myself and a few fellas noticed poor results,i see alot of guys on a few places buy and end up selling them..
Didnt notice what year your truck is nut if its a 15 or newer your gonna need a tuner AND a ecu....Cant tune stock ecu on 15 or newer...You can buy the tuner where ever you can for a best $ you can but you need either a diablo ecu or a ram stock ecu that can be sent to diablo so they can set it up to go with your tuner,assumeing you buy a diablo product which is what i suggest..

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have an 09, and I've notice a 1-2mpg drop since this cold snap started. I was testing the Pedal Commander in Eco mode to see if that would affect mpg. I will say I've done more idle/warm up with the Hemi than I have with other cars just because of this forum's advice.

Still not sure I believe all the "winter blend" stuff - as usual on the internet, you'll see conflicting stories and info. I worked at a gas station as a teenager, and I don't recall there being any difference in the fuels from one season to the next, but that's just another story, worth everything you paid for it, and I'd rather not debate it anymore.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
X3

If you figure a 1.5 or 2mpg drop, my '17 would be running about 15mpg city right now....which is exactly what its rated for. Instead Im getting about 13mpg.