My 2004 hemi 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

04.4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi everyone, I am a new member. About a year and a half ago I got my dodge. I had been looking on craigslist for a while. This one popped up, and I immediately called and went to check it out. By the time I got there, he had 41 calls on it. It was a 2004 quad cab 5.7 hemi, 4x4. It had 170,000 miles and he was asking 3500. He was asking so little because of what he believed to be a bad lifter tick, and some bubbling above the rear wheel wells. I decided to buy it because it drove fine. When I got home I crawled under it and saw a header bolt was missing, replaced this and the tick was gone. The truck runs and drives great, however the rust has now gotten a good bit worse. I would like some suggestions on what to do. My dad is a machinist and is a great welder. We could cut it out and put in patch panels but I understand this is only temporary. I have thought about my best option being to cover them for now with fender flares, and look in the mean time for another bed off a wrecked truck, but not a 2004 because of the rust issues. Would like to know if there are some junkyards in my area (NC) that are dodge only or something of the sort. Also, if I put the fender flares on, what should I do with the rusted areas before installing them? Thanks guys

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
There are some rust inhibitors that can be sprayed on.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can buy just bedsides, I believe steel's are actually pretty.fair priced (of course then you have prepping and painting $ to think of.) But seeing your dad's line of expertise you two could probably install yourselves (never actually done it so don't quote me, but a idea.) Also you can swap over to fiberwerx fiberglass bedsides and fenders and do the full ram runner look [emoji41]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Or yes as stated above lol a rust inhibitor or pending on how much rust were talking a simple grind and prime

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

OP
OP

04.4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ramportin1 never thought of the fiberglass, but is an idea. For now I think I would like to keep it pretty stock, in case I end up wanting to sell it lol. What exactly causes the bad rust on the 04's?

Jerseystyle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Why do you believe patch panels are only temporary? If done right it would outlast the truck. The expensive part would be prep and paint.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

OP
OP

04.4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Why do you believe patch panels are only temporary? If done right it would outlast the truck. The expensive part would be prep and paint.

I figured that because there is no good way for the wheel wells to drain on these years, and the water gets trapped, that the patches would rust after a few years, but I might be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jerseystyle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I figured that because there is no good way for the wheel wells to drain on these years, and the water gets trapped, that the patches would rust after a few years, but I might be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If done right, it'll last a long time.

Tomslick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Patches are $50 on Ebay per side. They will last 10 years if done decent. If you can't weld them you can even pop rivet then putty over.