My Service Manager says...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ram13BH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CUMMINS
Having spent the last (nearly) 15 years of my automotive life as an FCA/Chrysler Parts Advisor (and manager for a while), I can vouch for how insane the cost would be to do this job. Our parts for stuff like this are really high in comparison to aftermarket.

As to the warranty; there is no way you lose any warranty coverage simply because you have the gears upgraded with Mopar parts. If there were to be a problem with the gears down the road, the servicing dealer would have to prove that the problem was caused by the gear change before they could have any hope of refusing warranty on that lone issue. There is federal protection for everyone forbidding any dealer or manufacturer from refusing/voiding warranty simply because you change something...FEDERALLY PROTECTED! It is called The Magnuson-Moss Act ... I would advise Googling and getting a little education/ammunition to do what you want.

These newer trucks do log every entry and program attempt made to the PCM/ECM, so if there are multiple attempts that are not verified FCA access, they can make your life difficult on certain issues, but they still CANNOT refuse warranty without proving the changes are at fault for the failure.

I hope that is helpful and makes some sense. :happy160:

OP
OP
fljab

fljab

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Brent, Yes, that makes complete sense. Your feedback is appreciated and why I posted; I felt no matter what the man said, there has to be more to the story.

As to parts costs, I was figuring on sourcing them somewhere else, or at least showing what I can get them for somewhere else but offer if they price match to do it there - whether that's my dealer or another. Labor is a big part of this and I wouldn't consider them doing it except for warranty issues. I suspect MM Act would cover installation by a good quality shop elsewhere, but am going to get estimates from dealers along the way.

The only thing is if I was to have to wait, then was going to look at a gear drive LS like Detroit Locker or Yukon, but if this is something that I want warranty coverage via FCA, then it'll need to be Mopar LS, gears, and install parts.

Thanks again, much appreciated!

NormB

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 SLT
Engine
Cummins 6.7L TD
NOTE on TPMS sensors and dealership/tech access.

Installed a remote start system and had it activated the other night at a tech friend's house. he works for a local Ram dealership, only does programming.

I asked him about the TPMS issue, he showed me in the software he's given by FCA, whoever, there is NOTHING in there for him to access the monitoring system to CHANGE anything. He believes this is being done by government forcing the industry to maintain tire pressures at max load in the interest of safety, NTSB or something, he said.

Techs as of 2018 models, can't change tire pressure settings.

I'm at a loss as to how the ProCal unit can, will work, and what, if anything the dealership can do for me.

But I can't ride on this high a tire pressure much longer, not with back issues I've got.

Seriously considering a class-action lawsuit. With pressures set this high, our tires are going to wear out faster than they should, and aggravating medical conditions should get some lawyers sniffing around this one pronto.

Just a thought.

Sorry to resurrect a zombie post just to pontificate, but this REALLY ****** me off.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Installed a remote start system and had it activated the other night at a tech friend's house. he works for a local Ram dealership, only does programming.

I asked him about the TPMS issue, he showed me in the software he's given by FCA, whoever, there is NOTHING in there for him to access the monitoring system to CHANGE anything. He believes this is being done by government forcing the industry to maintain tire pressures at max load in the interest of safety, NTSB or something, he said.

I'm at a loss as to how the ProCal unit can, will work, and what, if anything the dealership can do for me.

But I can't ride on this high a tire pressure much longer, not with back issues I've got.

Seriously considering a class-action lawsuit. With pressures set this high, our tires are going to wear out faster than they should, and aggravating medical conditions should get some lawyers sniffing around this one pronto.

Just a thought.

Sorry to resurrect a zombie post just to pontificate, but this REALLY ****** me off.

AFAIK the AlfaOBD app should be able to do what you want. With a 2018 you would need a special bypass harness but with that, the AlfaOBD software and a compatible interface (ODB MX is the most frequently used), you should be able to change the TPMS thresholds.

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/alfaobd.123982/

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Just a thought.

What @chrisbh17 said, spend the $130 on Alpha and never have to worry about what they can change and what they can’t. I had 3 dealers tell me the tire size couldn’t be changed on a 2018. I didn’t know about alpha at the time and bought the aev unit for $300 it was able to get the speedo within 1mph. Now I have alpha and have it dead on.

my70stangss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Having spent the last (nearly) 15 years of my automotive life as an FCA/Chrysler Parts Advisor (and manager for a while), I can vouch for how insane the cost would be to do this job. Our parts for stuff like this are really high in comparison to aftermarket.

As to the warranty; there is no way you lose any warranty coverage simply because you have the gears upgraded with Mopar parts. If there were to be a problem with the gears down the road, the servicing dealer would have to prove that the problem was caused by the gear change before they could have any hope of refusing warranty on that lone issue. There is federal protection for everyone forbidding any dealer or manufacturer from refusing/voiding warranty simply because you change something...FEDERALLY PROTECTED! It is called The Magnuson-Moss Act ... I would advise Googling and getting a little education/ammunition to do what you want.

These newer trucks do log every entry and program attempt made to the PCM/ECM, so if there are multiple attempts that are not verified FCA access, they can make your life difficult on certain issues, but they still CANNOT refuse warranty without proving the changes are at fault for the failure.

I hope that is helpful and makes some sense. :happy160:

Thanks for the info

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi

Just a thought.

Can't you just let some air out of the tires? The lights on the dash may be annoying but it would beat a sore back.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Brent, Yes, that makes complete sense. Your feedback is appreciated and why I posted; I felt no matter what the man said, there has to be more to the story.

As to parts costs, I was figuring on sourcing them somewhere else, or at least showing what I can get them for somewhere else but offer if they price match to do it there - whether that's my dealer or another. Labor is a big part of this and I wouldn't consider them doing it except for warranty issues. I suspect MM Act would cover installation by a good quality shop elsewhere, but am going to get estimates from dealers along the way.

The only thing is if I was to have to wait, then was going to look at a gear drive LS like Detroit Locker or Yukon, but if this is something that I want warranty coverage via FCA, then it'll need to be Mopar LS, gears, and install parts.

Thanks again, much appreciated!

A detroit locker is NOT a LS...it is a locking differential...big difference...................

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
My suggestion is to find another dealer - the one you quote is full of crap.

As chrisbh17 and others said. Get AlfaOBD (49.00), OBDlink MX scanner (75.00+) and the 2018 bypass harness (20-25.00) from M2Mods on the link chrisbh17 posted. With all that you can do anything plus more than the dealer can do.

And the bonus is that same alpfaobd link is full of knowledge, examples and members willing to help.

Matts175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can help you with one part. Just stay with 17" wheels. My new one has 20", my old one had 17". After driving the new one for 3 weeks now, I'm going to have to say that the 17" ride and handle better. The 20s seem to find every little bad spot in the road and (trying to describe this with words....) seem to hook and grab on to those bad spots, causing me to over compensate the steering wheel. There's this one really crappy spot on my way home from work and the speed limit is 70mph, where I now have to avoid the center lane like the plague, because I swear the truck is going to launch into the next lane. 17s have more sidewall and just soak that stuff up better. At the same spot with the old truck, you felt the bump bump bump, but the truck stayed straight.

Also, tires are much cheaper.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Matt is right on. My truck came with 20"s, I have changed to Rebel 17"s, Didn't have to change speedo or TPMSs as the 20"s were 33" and the 17"s are 33"

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
A detroit locker is NOT a LS...it is a locking differential...big difference...................
Not really. Detroit lockers are torsen diffs which have worm gear style spider gear setup. Basically an LSD without the clutches.

NormB

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 SLT
Engine
Cummins 6.7L TD
AFAIK the AlfaOBD app should be able to do what you want. With a 2018 you would need a special bypass harness but with that, the AlfaOBD software and a compatible interface (ODB MX is the most frequently used), you should be able to change the TPMS thresholds.

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/alfaobd.123982/

Thanks, everyone. I'm heading in this direction. Figure if I need to find someone with the unit, drive, spend time, then do this again it'll make more sense to just buy the needed modules/scanners.

Question I have is which one(s), but John Jensen's list is helpful, I'll look into it. I don't do android, but do have OSX and MS OS platforms available.

"Dealer full of crap" - nope. I looked at the software, page after page. As of 2018 the Dodge/Ram/Jeep techs can NOT change tire pressure settings, doesn't even show up in the software anywhere, and there's no official way of doing this.

As one person mentioned, and I've read about the 20% allowance, I'll lower my pressures again for now, deal with "resetting" if and when the alarms go off again in the future.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you were closer I would just do it for you! Im in CT, though.

If you ever happen to be up in the area (longshot, I presume) just let me know.

Matts175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not really. Detroit lockers are torsen diffs which have worm gear style spider gear setup. Basically an LSD without the clutches.

I had the "Richmond no slip traction system" in my 2003. It was a ratchet type system. Very annoying "chirp chirp chirp" around tight corners. It seemed to only disengage when it wanted too. I eventually got used to it. Great traction in the snow though. I NEVER got stuck in that thing. It was 2wd too.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi

That is NOT an accurate description of a detroit locker........there is zero slip in a detroit if the power it coming from the driveshaft.

Check out the exploded view pics of a locker & a torsen style LSD below.............

This a a detroit locker......note it is called a locker in it's name...not LSD.........notice no worm gears or spider gears

detroit.jpg

This is a detroit trutrac LSD made by the same people that make the detroit locker.....but this is a LSD.....not a locker at all. It does have the worm gears and such you mention

trutrac.jpg

Last edited:

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had the "Richmond no slip traction system" in my 2003. It was a ratchet type system. Very annoying "chirp chirp chirp" around tight corners. It seemed to only disengage when it wanted too. I eventually got used to it. Great traction in the snow though. I NEVER got stuck in that thing. It was 2wd too.

It disengages when the power is NOT coming from the driveshaft...........so if you are powering thru a turn sharp, it will stay engaged.....hence the chirp chirp chirp............ya know what..... my factory LSD does the same thing if I power thru a sharp turn too.

If you are adding/applying power to the inside tire faster than the ground can accelerate the outside tire (so it can stay disengaged), you will get a chirp, otherwise, no chirp.

It's a learning thing...you got to figure it out for your vehicle & driving style. I've had 3 vehicles now with lockers in them....I can make turns as sharp as I want with no chirping, or I can chirp the inside tire (or break both loose) at will for the most part.

You will almost always have some minor clicking from the rear diff, due to the way it works when disengaging to allow turns with no tire slippage. That can be minimized with the use of a thicker oil, or by putting the LSD additive in (not needed, but it does thicken the oil, which helps muffle the clicking sound).

Last edited:

oldguy2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I went to a dealer about installing a factory limited slip differential and you would have thought I asked him to shoot his mother. No way, no how.