My truck knows......

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rebelrouser

Reaction score
Ram Year
'22 Ram 1500 GT
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I removed the shutters from my truck last weekend but never unplugged it at any time. Today it threw a code. Must have some kinda sensors regarding temperature coming in? Now I have to re-install them. Not happy. One question though; when the engine oil life gets down does the truck throw an engine code? That's the only option I could think of. Thoughts???

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I do believe if you mess with the shutters you will get a code.
You should not get one from the OLM being close to your OCI.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They are supervised. the truck needs to "see" the shutters.

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2016 Rebel didn't come with the shutters. :)

Buckfat

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016-2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Not sure where but I think I have seen some kind of plug you can purchase that fools computer. You disconnect the shutter motor and plug the item in. Makes the truck think they are still there.

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
I have them, but don't know what they do. School me, please

ramittome

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You have to either fool it, or only remove the middle shutters. You have to leave the first and last ones because that's where the bracket hooks up. I've had mine removed like this for almost 2 years now. Even did a buddy of mine 2 weeks ago, and no codes for either of us.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can run a screw through the shutter motor so the arm hits the screw. You get the code because it doesn’t hit a stopping point. There’s a post somewhere on here about that. I’m running no blades whatsoever on mine with the screw. It’s been 2 months no problems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can run a screw through the shutter motor so the arm hits the screw. You get the code because it doesn’t hit a stopping point. There’s a post somewhere on here about that. I’m running no blades whatsoever on mine with the screw. It’s been 2 months no problems

Same for me

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

ramittome

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you buy a Prius? Lol!

Yeah, they are supposed to, but if you look, only the top 2/3 of the grill has the shutters anyway. Air has to still enter to cool the radiator, so I don't see how it works too good to be honest.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
don't the shutters improve aerodynamics ?
brianj

It’s supposed to improve it. I can’t see by how much. I didn’t notice any mpg change when I did mine. The only thing that changed for me was my truck takes forever to warm up now. But it also doesn’t hit 215F anymore like it does with the shutters. The purpose of the shutters is to reduce airflow into the engine compartment to reduce drag from the air smashing around in there

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, school me here.
What is the purpose of removing the shutters? To let more air flow in?

OP
OP
Rebelrouser

Rebelrouser

Reaction score
Ram Year
'22 Ram 1500 GT
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, school me here.

I removed them to install my Rigid lights. I have 4 mounted on aluminum attached to the upper support. I guess now I am re-installing the shutters without the middle slats. If I get this figured out I'll post pic's.

Attachments

• IMG_8505.jpg
    IMG_8505.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_8506.jpg
    IMG_8506.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_8507.jpg
    IMG_8507.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 35

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, school me here.

That is why I removed mine. Helps keep the truck cooler. My coolant used to hit 216 my trans would hit 205 and my oil would hit 224. Now coolant is is 204 trans is 190 and oil is 212.

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram 1500 sport long bed
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
nice but not good up here where it gets down to -20 it would never warm up lol.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
nice but not good up here where it gets down to -20 it would never warm up lol.

They make a winter grill cover for the eco diesel. I’m sure it would fit the hemi because the grill is the same. I was debating on purchasing one. But here in Florida it’s never cold long enough to need one. It’s going to be 40s for a few days this week where I’m at.

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That is why I removed mine. Helps keep the truck cooler. My coolant used to hit 216 my trans would hit 205 and my oil would hit 224. Now coolant is is 204 trans is 190 and oil is 212.

So, it's a flaw/overlook by Dodge?
I wonder why they would put them on in the first place if it makes the engine/transmission fluids run hotter?

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, it's a flaw/overlook by Dodge?

I wonder why they would put them on in the first place if it makes the engine/transmission fluids run hotter?

It’s not overheating hotter. So it’s not really a flaw. They had a reason to have it on the trucks. It’s been there since they introduced the 8 speeds I believe. I believe it was partially for emissions. The hotter it runs the “cleaner” it runs. Plus reduced drag by air smashing into the engine compartment. The trans is supposedly good with higher temps. Lots of trucks with over 100,000 miles on them with no issues with the trans. The oil used is supposedly more efficient when it’s hotter. I did a little research before removing the shutters to see what the purpose was. If you leave them in during heavy load or hotter temps they open accordingly to keep the truck from going above whatever the specified temps are. I removed mine for performance reasons

Last edited:

DRobSForce

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
While they do help improve aerodynamics slightly, it has a decent benefit to "cold" starts. So like mentioned before, it does help emissions. Because when your truck starts "cold" ('cold' meaning not warmed up fully, not necessarily 'cold' ambient temperatures), the combustion and catalyst doesn't burn the normal greenhouse gases that it would as if it were fully warmed up. The shutters reduce air flow, allowing less airflow over the engine hence allowing the engine and other components to warm up quicker. Plus you can get quicker catalyst light off. So you not only reduce emissions, but you also increase fuel economy because you heat up quicker. Coolant heats up quicker which heats up your engine oil quicker, which then sends coolant to your trans. heater quicker. While you probably wont see your fuel economy number go down much after removing the shutters, you may notice time to warm up take longer.

While at FCA, I remember trying to completely seal the engine compartment so we could heat up much quicker. Like crazykid1994 said, the hotter you can run the engine, typically the happier it is (well, if it was designed to handle the heat load and not crack the block :headbang:). But the downside is making sure you can keep it cool for towing requirements.