navigation system problem?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
My 2011 ram with nav, which I have fully updated shows me road speed limits and also my actual speed beside it, which turns red when I'm speeding. My 2017 shows the speed limit, but even though in the options menu i've set speed limit warnings and tried a few things I can't get my actual speed to display on screen with the speed limit or speed limit warning to come up at all visually or audibly. Is there a problem or do these options not work in Canada? I've noticed the new system has a lot fewer features as far as nav and sat radio amongst other things vs the old one so maybe it's just one less thing. Like to know if it's normal or I should take it in.

Jarhead57

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 4x4 CC Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine yells at me when I go 5 mph over speed limit. :) I can't see them doing away with that on the 17's

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
on my 2011 i had the same thing you describe. On my 2016 I'm pretty sure I turned it off because the audible warning was annoying. Mine won't even show me on the nav screen what speed I am going(wish it did because i have bigger tires and my speedo is off)

OP
OP
BWL

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Mine yells at me when I go 5 mph over speed limit. :) I can't see them doing away with that on the 17's

In the menu you can set the speed limit warning on and off and choose at what point it warns you. I've tried anywhere for 0-20 over and turned it all on the the menu, but nothing happens no matter how fast I go. I'd prefer the visual my 11 had, but even an audible at 20 over in case I miss a speed limit change on my long drives just for some extra piece of mind would be nice.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
In the menu you can set the speed limit warning on and off and choose at what point it warns you. I've tried anywhere for 0-20 over and turned it all on the the menu, but nothing happens no matter how fast I go. I'd prefer the visual my 11 had, but even an audible at 20 over in case I miss a speed limit change on my long drives just for some extra piece of mind would be nice.

you are testing this while using navigation right?

OP
OP
BWL

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Yes. All while in nav mode driving. Parked to adjust it.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure of issue but you have two completely systems. '12 is Garmin, 17' is NavTeq.. I think

OP
OP
BWL

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
It sounds like the new system lost the feature that displays your speed next to the speed limit, but the warning should still work so I'll have to take it in and see what they can do for me.

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
It sounds like the new system lost the feature that displays your speed next to the speed limit, but the warning should still work so I'll have to take it in and see what they can do for me.
Yes, the newer trucks use an audible warning vs visual. The speed warning volume works with the nav volume. If you set a destination and drive, can you hear *******' betty giving turn-by-turn instructions? If not, the nav volume is turned all the way down and you won't hear the speed warning either. The only way I know to adjust the nav volume is to turn the volume up while betty is actively speaking. Can be tricky. Give it a try. Hopefully that's all it is.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
BWL

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Yes, the newer trucks use an audible warning vs visual. The speed warning volume works with the nav volume. If you set a destination and drive, can you hear *******' betty giving turn-by-turn instructions? If not, the nav volume is turned all the way down and you won't hear the speed warning either. The only way I know to adjust the nav volume is to turn the volume up while betty is actively speaking. Can be tricky. Give it a try. Hopefully that's all it is.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
thanks. That was the problem. I don't like the audible turn by turn so I shut it down. Sadly the more I drive this truck the less I like it and feel like I downgraded. GF was due to replace her grand cherokee, but after driving my truck and seeing they had the same system she picked up a Honda CRV instead. I've recently started anger shopping for a replacement, but I have too much money in taxes, warranty and accessories in this one to afford to replace it this soon. Really wish I'd bought my first GMC after I test drove a new Denali yesterday. Never thought I'd say that. I've been mopar for a long time.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963