Need advice from Ram owners

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Keep an eye out for another one with Ramboxes...you'll love 'em! The extra storage is great.

+1! I don't think I can ever go back to a non-Rambox truck! Now that winter's here, I have my passenger one full of winter gear... jump starter, light tire chains/cables, long heavy recovery rope/strap, D ring, tire inflator, etc. Its basically my toolbox. Driver's side I keep empty for whatever I need for specific trips. In the summer, I usually have both pretty empty.

Keeps my back seat nice and clean, always ready for passengers (and passengers usually love the rear heated seats in the winter that come in the Longhorn and up trims, BTW).

As far as the much debated 3.21 vs 3.92 gearing, test drive both, pick what you like. Its subjective. Some will say there is a world of difference, others will say there is none. When I was test driving, I could tell the difference between 3.55 gearing (only available as an option with 8 speed and Hemi in 2013), 3.21, and 3.92. I found one with the 3.92 gearing in my current 2014, and wouldn't trade it for almost anything. But thats just my preference. You need to find yours. :happy107:

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I could tell the difference between 3.55 gearing (only available as an option with 8 speed and Hemi in 2013), 3.21, and 3.92. . :happy107:

My 14 has 3.55 and I always thought it would be interesting to try a 3.21 and 3.92 to see if I could notice much difference.

roadshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I guess I'm in the minority, but I have no plans to mod my RAM. My cheap side cannot justify altering a vehicle that satisfies me at the expense of blowing a *** of dead president images. Been a cheap-o since I was in my 20's and now with 70 on the horizon I'm sure not changing!

To the OP, good luck with your shopping spree.

truer words lol. I traded my RAM in for a soccer mom SUV with a utility trailer for occasional big items last year but I still kick around here sometimes for nostalgia sake. I sunk a few thousand on mods to my truck, and once I stopped needing a pickup bed, adding $3000/year to my annual income in gas was far too tempting (I commute). Nobody sinks mod money into soccer mom vehicles either lol.

boomer632

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2013 Longhorn CC with 5.7 and 8 speed and 3.92. Picked it up last year.. used with 70k on it. I live in NE and so did the truck in the summer. It spent winter's in FL. I love the truck. interior is the black / cattle tan. It have every option except for the front park assist.. RAX took care of that with front cam. I will say this.. I'm glad I got the 6.4 bed and not the shorter one.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you find a Longhorn you like you won't be disappointed, I plan on keeping mine longer then the 2 years I kept my Outdoorsman. As of now I think, lol

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 CC 4x4 Longhorn Offroad
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Buy it

It does have the 8 speed transmission but the gearing is 3.21. I don't do much heavy towing so I was curious how much of a difference I would notice with that gear. I mainly want a good ride, reliability but also the ability to tow 5k lbs if needed.

If your not towing or towing very little go with the 3:21 gears. I wanted the 3:92 in case I got another camper, but went with a used 2016 with the 3:21. Has lots of power and get me 22mpg while driving between 75 and 80 mph. And I agree the interior on these trucks are top notch! Love my 8.4 Nav with the Alpine system!

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yesterday, I towed a 30 foot float in a halloween parade with 60 people on it, and there was absolutely no issue.

Wouldn't you just LOVE to blip the throttle a time or two and create some excitement back there! :)

manogmin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2016 Big Horn with the 8spd and 3.21 gear set. I have been pulling a 24foot camper with it and the thing performs excellently. I had an older ram with the 3.92’s and my current truck outpulls it hands down. I like it. And when I’m not towing, I can get 22 mpg on the interstate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
And when I’m not towing, I can get 22 mpg on the interstate.

My Tk couldn't get that if I was going downhill behind a semi with a wind to my back!

Nystagmus

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Longhorn CC
Engine
I just bought a ‘14 Longhorn and absolutely love it. I drove a ‘13 with the air suspension and it was a game changer....but it had almost 100k miles. Scared me off.