NEED HELP ASAP!! Headlights won't turn off!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nitrodude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L gas
Just picked this truck up a couple weeks ago.
Since I got it the headlights have been a little finicky (mostly very dim headlights, passenger side headlight being much dimmer then driver side even when swapping bulbs from driver side) and also the "brights" indicator on the dash comes on/off dimly while driving with the lights on

Here's the new issue. It's been raining all day here in florida, drove home from work with the lights on, turned them off and parked it.

Came back out an hour+ later and saw they were still on?!?
Jump in the truck and see the light switch was off, started the truck up and let it charge for a few minutes.
Turned the light switch on and off a million times-when you flick them on they get a bit brighter, turn them "off" and they get a little dimmer but stay on.
Also-when you turn the switch off the brights dash light comes on dimly.
Also when the headlight switch is turned off, the rear lights turn off, just the headlights stay on

So I started googling and tried to trouble shoot-pulled the headlight/dimmer switch and disconnected it-lights still on.
Pull the steering wheel cover off and disconnect the multi function switch (had to remove a small 8mm bolt holding the connector on)
STILL ON!!!

Read about a front control module but not sure where that is or how to test it?
Also read about a drl but I'm 99% sure my truck doesn't have one.

But after sitting and cursing on my truck for a while they randomly turn off (after a million times starting/shutting off the truck ad flipping the lights on/off.

But now I'm paranoid ill have a dead battery in the morning.
Here's the funny part-three days ago when I left to leave work my truck was dead, brought it to autozone and got the battery tested-bad. Replaced it with a new one. It was probably the damn headlights staying on that killed the old battery!

Someone please help me!

smarsmar101

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This happens to me sometimes too....

I just flip the switch back and forth a bunch, and eventually they go off... lol

OP
OP
N

Nitrodude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L gas
Except I was out there for about an hour.
I don't want to do that ritual every time I use my headlights :suicide:

I'm out of ideas now though. I was hoping for something easier like the switch or multi function switch but apparently its not.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Welcome to RF!

Here is a pix of the DRL Module, if you have one unplug it.

DRL_zps6f9966e6.jpg

OP
OP
N

Nitrodude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L gas
Checked and didn't see one of those under my hood.
Also I assume If I did have one my lights would have been coming on when I turned the truck on? Which they didn't do before.

Googling I couldn't find a "front control module" for my 2001 dodge ram 2500 5.9l gasser. Don't think it has one after all.

I'm completely lost now...

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
What is a front control module?

Here is the part number for the factory DRL module for a 2001 ram 56021561AC. In the 2001 FSM it goes over the headlight system starts on page 614 you might check it out.

OP
OP
N

Nitrodude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L gas
No idea what the front control module is-just read on other forums that that could be the problem (I've been googling this for hours now..)

Unfortunately I don't have a fsm.

***edit

I don't have a drl on my truck.

OP
OP
N

Nitrodude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L gas
Thanks for the link! Great to have a manual.

But after skimming through that-only troubleshooting liste is the drl which I don't have.

Trying to figure out these wiring diagrams and which one applies to me-still not 100% sure what's what.
But looks like I just have the headlight switch, multi function switch and a security relay (which I Havnt checked yet)
Hopefully (doubtfully) the problems lies in the security relay...
But now I'm leaning towards a melted cluster of wires somewhere along the line....
Other then that I'm out of things to really look for

OP
OP
N

Nitrodude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L gas
That's as my first thought-but while the ignition was off/headlight switch was off an the lights remained on, I completely removed the headlight switch and pulled the harness off, and the lights still remained on.
I did the same thing with the multi function switch on the column and again, lights remained on.

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
Might just be a bad switch. As for safety if you remove the light switch the lights will turn on. My 2001 Dodge stratus and 2002 Durango did that. I would start by replacing the headlight switch.

Sent from my Nexus 7 tablet using Tapatalk

OP
OP
N

Nitrodude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L gas
I'm pretty sure removing the switch should kill the headlights?

Like I said before with the switch off and keys out the lights are on but dim.
Turn the lights on regular (not brights) and they come on brighter.

Pulled the switch and te lights stayed dimly on (not regular on or brights)

I don't want to spend the $40 on a switch to not solve the issue lol

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
As you now have the 2001 FSM it's time to get out a DVM and start testing wiring, relays whatever.

OP
OP
N

Nitrodude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L gas
I'm not sure which wiring diagram applies to my trucks headlights to troubleshoot it

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
I will look up a page number for you, I need to know if you have a sport or not first.

Edit: I would read through page 614, then go to page 957-959 for non-sport

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

Nitrodude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L gas
I don't believe it's a sport.
It's the bare bones ram 2500-no power anything work truck.

Roadrunner22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
2014 RAM 3500 Dually, 277000+ kms. Headlight switch... Headlights randomly shut off when set in auto mode. Manual "off" position with engine on doesn't shut them off unless I giggle the knob. And even then it's finneky and end up coming back on. Like the mechanical parts are loose inside, but then a few other simple things have fallen apart lately too. New switch required??

Roadrunner22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I called the dealer, apparently Chrysler sells an average of 67 headlight switches a week, nationally in Canada. $97 bucks a pop. These are made to fail..... I'll find out tomorrow if the new switch fixes my issue.

ScottysRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Clean the switch contacts! Fixed mine

I had trouble with my lights staying on after I turned the truck off. And sometimes they would just turn on. Ended up being the circuit board in my headlight switch. Where the switch contact rubs on what you select wether auto, off, parking, or headlights had bridged the contact on the circuit board. Took my knife and scratched away the bridges metal on the circuit board and the headlights work as intended. I have pics if needed.