Need help ASAP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Irishhawk30

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
I just got back from taking my 99 Dodge Ram 1500 to get inspected and oil change. there was at least 4 things wrong with it and still more wrong with it. They changed:

1. Changed engine oil and filter, checked all fluid levels, lube chasis and body. $34.29
2. Check lights replaced third brake light bulb $11.55
3. Replace Idler Arm. Replace ider arm and rear wheel stud. $174.12
4. Replace Belt. Install new SERP Belt. $91.93

total price $335.28, but now my check engine light is on right when I got home, is any of these changes the reason behind this, cause it was never own til now. Need help figuring this out before 3pm

*EDIT* Even checked it with my http://www.carmd.com/ and nothing is coming up

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Have you been able to take it to an auto parts store and get the code(s) it's throwing?

GoldDot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No way to tell until you pull the codes. Sounds unrelated to repairs unless they broke something while they were in there.

OP
OP
Irishhawk30

Irishhawk30

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
That's the thing, I just came back from Advance Auto Parts too pick up my Passenger Tail Lamp Assembly that I just got a ticket for lol. I asked him too try it and the Check Engine light went off when he started the truck. Talk about Odd

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Unless when changing the belt the left something unplugged.

PS I am asking my lawyers to contact you for copyright infringement on my avatar :D

OP
OP
Irishhawk30

Irishhawk30

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Srry Goose, I tried too do my own but it kept saying fragment file. So I have no idea yet how too upload my own icon or Sig like your checker one

OP
OP
Irishhawk30

Irishhawk30

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
There all mine now lmao the wonders with paint.

I told the guy that did my oil change and stuff about it and he liked laughed when I told him that the light came on after I left and he told me it prob won't pass inspection. but since the light went off nothing they can do but pass me

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just got back from taking my 99 Dodge Ram 1500 to get inspected and oil change. there was at least 4 things wrong with it and still more wrong with it. They changed:

1. Changed engine oil and filter, checked all fluid levels, lube chasis and body. $34.29
2. Check lights replaced third brake light bulb $11.55
3. Replace Idler Arm. Replace ider arm and rear wheel stud. $174.12
4. Replace Belt. Install new SERP Belt. $91.93

total price $335.28, but now my check engine light is on right when I got home, is any of these changes the reason behind this, cause it was never own til now. Need help figuring this out before 3pm

*EDIT* Even checked it with my CarMD.com - Automotive diagnostic tools, vehicle maintenance, check engine light solutions, used car buying. and nothing is coming up

I do not see how any of the above could have trigged a CEL, unless they for some VERY odd reason disconnected something somewhere. But I can't think of a single thing they'd have to remove to do any of those jobs.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
PS I am asking my lawyers to contact you for copyright infringement on my avatar :D

I'll be sure to contact Chrysler Group and let them know of your unauthorized use too. :gunner:

Did you see that **** Ford pulled on that Mustang Forum?
They couldn't use the Pony logo anywhere er some such rubbish. :laughing1:

OP
OP
Irishhawk30

Irishhawk30

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Well I am not even done with the tune-ups he said something about the steering wheel was leaking fluid or was broken, they wanted too charge me $800 for the entire things which I found too be odd and said no fix the things I just mentioned. This truck is giving me more hassles then it's worth. But I still love my GRIMACE

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Srry Goose, I tried too do my own but it kept saying fragment file. So I have no idea yet how too upload my own icon or Sig like your checker one
sorry dude, was just messing with ya

I'll be sure to contact Chrysler Group and let them know of your unauthorized use too. :gunner:

Did you see that **** Ford pulled on that Mustang Forum?
They couldn't use the Pony logo anywhere er some such rubbish. :laughing1:

wow...really? No, didnt see that....now THAT is dumb.

rambob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
it should still have a code stored and the part store can read it.

replacing the steering box for $800 isnt too bad of a price. check the list price on just the gear box... $300 and up at part stores. I'm sure factory dodge part from dealer is close to $500. but, none of that will fix the problem if you plan to lift or add bigger tires... look into the one at genos '94-'02 Dodge Ram Steering Box - 2500/3500-Geno's Garage
and this one Red Head Steering Gears - Steering Gear | Steering Gear Box

rambob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
also. if its just a gear box leak, and you have mechanical know how, which sounds as though you dont b/c you paid someone to change your oil, no offense, a rebuild kit is a good option.

OP
OP
Irishhawk30

Irishhawk30

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Thank you Rambob. When I took it too Advance Auto they said their device was not finding my truck for them too get the code. I have a device I get from my car insurance from Progressive, the snapshot discount device it's plugged in but I don't even know if it's fully working. So when I pay my insurance today i'll ask if it's registering our not. Maybe my Vehicle's Diagnostic Plug is fried. I know as mentioned before my electrical wires are all screwy is there a easy way of testing it.

And ya not really smart with cars. I'm like only 40% smart and it don't help I have no were too work on my truck when I want like a garage or something, and landlord has forbidden us too work on it in the parking lot. or I would of changed my own oil

What's this rebuild kit you speak of