Need new Truck, Considering Dodge but need Information

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MooSSe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Hello Ram owners. My 2006 F350 King Ranch Dually was just stolen. I need something to tow my 14k lb 5th wheel so I'm looking around while my insurance company works on getting me a settlement.

I've had two Ford diesels, a '97 7.3L and the '06 6.0L, so I'm pretty familiar with diesels from the Ford perspective, but I want to keep my options open.

I really do NOT want to deal with DPF and DEF fluids, so I have some specific questions about older 2500's and 3500's, and then some more general questions. I also am looking for a truck to last me 500k miles or more. Since Ford introduced DPF's and DEF fluid in 2008, I'm assuming Dodge did too so I'm going to ask all my questions about 2007 2500/3500's. If it was a different year than 2008, then substitute the last year without those for 2007 in my following questions. :)

1) What problems do 2007 Cummins have?
2) What kind of fuel mileage does the 2007 2500/3500 get?
3) What sort of things would I have to do to the engine to help make it last 500k+ miles? (EGR delete for example?)
4) I've heard stories about Dodge transmissions needing rebuilding every 150k miles. True or not?
5) Does 'death wobble' occur in the 2007 2500/3500's? (I had to practically rebuild my whole front end of my F350 to get that to stop.)
6) The 2005-2007 Ford F250's/F350's were practically the same truck with same suspension and engines. What years are very similar to the 2007 2500/3500's?
7) Any model years to avoid, and why should they be avoided?

My wife and I are used to Lariat King Ranch luxuries like heated leather seats, sun roof and lots of storage room inside. Is the Laramie the only model that would have these? My Craigslist searches are not showing any heated seats in the Laramie's for that year model, and none have sun roofs.

Any other advice for a 'newbie' to Dodge trucks would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Randy

TMyers

USMC 84' - 92'
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Ram started using DEF in 2013. But, to be fair, DEF is a non issue. Fill the tank and forget it. They are 5 years in now. Search the forums, DEF has not been a problem.

I didn't buy a Ram. I bought a Cummins Diesel that's in a Ram truck. If you enjoyed the King Ranch, look into the Ram Outdoorsman.

Had you replaced the head studs and done the egr delete in your Ford?

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Ram didn’t begin using def till the 13 model year. 12 is non def

I Love My 2018 RAM 2500HD 4x4 6.4L

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Death wobble= no
The Cummins engine is designed to last 750K before 1st rebuild.
How long the transmission lasts depends on the owner and how they take care of the truck. The Asin transmission will last as long as the motor if properly maintained. It’s stronger than the Allison the the GM products.
Being me I would go for any from 09 to 18.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
1) 2008 - 2012 Cummins: No significant issues. A few recalls all covered by Ram.
2) 2008 - 2012 Cummins: Mileage is all over the map. A lot depends on driving habits, tow loads, winds, grades, etc... Unloaded I'd venture a guess from 17 - 20 MPG.
3) 2008 - 2012 Cummins: I'm a fan of EGR deletes but the biggest factor in helping that engine make 550K is to swap out the OEM fuel filter system to an aftermarket air & particulate filter system. One of the major contributing factors to upper engine system failure is dirty fuel and air in the fuel system.
4) 2008 - 2012 Cummins: Not true. Plenty of 68RFE & Aisin transmission exceed 150K miles.
5) Death wobble appears to be associated with a change in suspension geometry, primarily due to installation of leveling kits or worn suspension links. As long as the front is sufficiently aligned and in good condition it's not a prevalent issue.
6) Ram suspensions have gotten progressively better. I'd pick a 2010 and newer truck over the 2007. I have practical experience with both the 3rd & 4th gen trucks and the 4th gen has much, much better steering and ride quality.
7) Frankly, stay away from the 2006 - 2008's unless you find a real cream puff. The 2009 and up trucks are just all around better units.

OP
OP
MooSSe

MooSSe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Thank you for all the great advice. I'm still looking at my options since I still don't have my check from the insurance company.

So nobody has had issues with the newer truck's Diesel Particulate Filters clogging? How does the Cummins regen process work?

My truck will be a daily driver about 18 miles one way in city traffic. I've read regens need to be allowed to finish once started, and requires about 20 minutes highway or constant 45+ mph.
This is why I was looking at older truck's without DPF and DEF. If this wouldn't be a problem for a mostly city traffic truck, then that opens up a lot more newer year models to consider.

Thanks again.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
There are no particulate filters in the Cummins system. It uses DEF fluid and a Selective Catalyst Reduction (SCR) process.

Processing diesel emissions has had several iterations, starting with an exhaust gas recirculation system (which is still part of the Cummins system) to a diesel particulate trap or filter system and now the technology is moving towards the SCR process.

Selective catalytic reduction technology uses ammonia to break down NOx emissions produced during diesel combustion into nitrogen and water. SCR became the technology of choice for a majority of truck and engine manufacturers to meet the stringent 2010 emissions standards set by the EPA for heavy-duty trucks.

Black W900

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
If you are used to a King Ranch, You'll be sorely disappointed with an Outdoorsman....
Get a Laramie Longhorn....it'll make that King Ranch seem like a Model T.

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
There are no particulate filters in the Cummins system. It uses DEF fluid and a Selective Catalyst Reduction (SCR) process.

Processing diesel emissions has had several iterations, starting with an exhaust gas recirculation system (which is still part of the Cummins system) to a diesel particulate trap or filter system and now the technology is moving towards the SCR process.

Selective catalytic reduction technology uses ammonia to break down NOx emissions produced during diesel combustion into nitrogen and water. SCR became the technology of choice for a majority of truck and engine manufacturers to meet the stringent 2010 emissions standards set by the EPA for heavy-duty trucks.

Your first paragraph is incorrect. 2013 Ram Cummins and up uses particulate filter and DEF/SCR system

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
hmmm...the exploded view drawings I found didn't list or show a particulate filter. Only the two chambers, the sensors, the def storage tank and a fuel tank.

Where is the particulate filter in this system?

2013 DEF system:

DEF.jpg

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Laramie longhorn is the king ranch equivalent in dodge, but the earlier years don't have it. Ford was the first to go really high end in the interiors so you'd have to go newer to get an equivalent interior. Regular laramie is a lariat equivalent . Probably looking at 2011 or 2012 for what you want. I'm surrounded by HD diesels at work and I'd be hesitant on the new ram diesels unless you're getting one out of warranty and eliminating the def/egr. Seen too many towed off site in protection mode the last few years. Just my experience, but i'd have no such reservations on any of their gas trucks.

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Directly across from the DEF tank.
From left to right, Particulate filter, then DEF injection nozzle then SCR catalyst
Technically the particulate filter has 2 parts to it, the front half is an oxidation catalyst the back half is the filter.
At any rate it is the large component in front of the DEF injector, the SCR is after the DEF injector

Last edited:
OP
OP
MooSSe

MooSSe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Well, I think I found my new truck. It's a 2010 3500 Laramie CC DRW. It has 108k miles and of course the 6.7L Cummins. It's black crystal pearl, with heated/cooled seats front, heated seats back and even the steering wheel. I may remove the sub-woofer to open up a little more storage under the rear seats.

You will probably see me hanging out on this forum more often now and asking lots of questions. :)

I will pick it up next Friday so I don't actually have it in my possession yet, but I'm looking forward to driving it many miles. Thanks for all the advice.

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
Looking forward to pics of the beast!

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
There are threads that cover most of the HD trucks 2500/3500.
Now I’m not knocking any topics around the 1500 as there’s some amazing things that the folks here talk about that can and are used on the HD models.
I follow all the threads light duty and Heavy Duty Ram’s...
I’ve learned a lot and adopted several different techniques and copied others mods.

Mod list: Pedal Commander, AVS Vent shades, Solo Delete kit, molar side step rails

OP
OP
MooSSe

MooSSe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Forgot to post picture of my new to me truck.

20180427_151410.jpg

Just had an alarm with remote start installed today.

Has a pretty bad leak in front cover and/or front crank seal. Getting that all fixed up next week.

Only other thing to fix is the back door lock solenoids. Sometimes the back door locks work, but most of the time they dont. I have to manually lock back doors before using remote on front doors.

Replaced air filter and wiper blades already. Going to do all the fluids as soon as I can and then it's travel trailer season!

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Congrats on the purchase. Good looking truck.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
:happy107: Congratulations! She is a beaut!

OP
OP
MooSSe

MooSSe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
WoW!
Finally got H&S Mini Maxx installed. I got the transmission codes and EGT installed with it and the EGR delete. It shifts better, and doesn't smoke hardly at all anymore! I'm running this tank in the "tow" setting and the MPG's on the lie-o-meter have shot up noticeably. I'll find out what real milage is when I calculate it. Then I'll try the "street" tune for the next tank full and compare them.
Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions in this thread and several others.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2023RamWarlock