Need some guidance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

robdawg14m

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I am looking at buying a Ram truck within the next week. I have been looking at the 06-08 model 1500, but I am leaning towards a 2500. My main problem is that I have never owned a diesel truck before. What are some things I need to look for when buying a used diesel? Most of the ones I am finding in my area are all over 100k miles. Should I be looking for lower milage? Below is one I really like and that is in my price range, but I wouldnt know if I was getting robbed or not. Any help would be much appreciated.

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Truck $22,485 - NORTH TEXAS TRUCK STOP - Mansfield, TX 76063-6179 Dealer

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I can't really say what to look for, cause I too have never owned a diesel truck. But the price seems to be under KBB...I am sure with some haggling, you could get them down more. KBB is about $24,000 retail and $19,500 private party. With proper maintenance, that could very well be the last truck you ever have to buy, as long as you can keep up with the diesel PMing!

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Lower mileage is always a plus. While the engine might go forever, unfortunately, the truck around it does wear out.

Look over the truck closely to see if it's been repaired etc. It seems a lot of Cummins' I've seen have been bondo'd (rather poorly at that) and then slapped on the market.

They bring in top dollar. You'll want to avoid any of them with the 6.7L since the EPA cracked down on tuners for em. You don't wanna deal with the DFP bullsh!t.

OP
OP
robdawg14m

robdawg14m

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Thanks for the info. I've had trucks before, and know enough about gas engines, but not so much with diesels. I have heard that they will run forever, but I would hate to drop money on a truck and have it crap out after a couple if years. If I knew I could get another 100k out of the engine I would be all over t.

WhySoSerious

Reaction score
Ram Year
Not Yet
Engine
To Be Announced
For me, diesel just doesn't make any sense. I want a turn key vehicle that starts up and goes and I dont have to put any effort or attention into it.

Read some of my questions. I asked a few questions in here when I first came here on "should I get diesel or gas?" You will either be talked out of it like I was or you won't. But at least be armed with information before you make the choice.

Personally, I wouldnt want a vehicle with such high mileage with the potential for so much **** to go wrong. When things go wrong with diesel.......its terribly expensive to fix. But thats just me.

Texasez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Search for north Texas truck stop on here. I think there's been some posts about it. Used diesels are great unless they break down. Then every time you go in for repair it's lots more.