Need some wiring questions answered

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

custom1936

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, my 86 RC has problems with the underhood wiring harness. It is so dried out and cracked it is not funny. Anyways I bought one from a guy online who has one for a 87, I also bought the whole dash harness from him which he said is mint and I seen pics of it, nice. Mine is carbed. Will the harness work ? I was told that the engine harness is seperate and plugs into main harness ?? Even if he has the fuel injection engine harness can I use that and leave the parts unplugged for throttle body etc. ?? My problems I think are mainly where the harness goes from battery along drivers side fender to the firewall. It has alot of hands in it but there is wires with no coating left on them ! It is so brittle. This 87 harness is supposed to be really nice with only a couple wires that need attention to the cracked coating. My dad should be able to take care of that. He also could probably rebuild my engine harness. He wires streetrods from scratch. He just told me I needed to find a different harness because it is so bad. Any input appreciated. Thanks.

LifetimeDodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
1984 1985 1977
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I can check my Factory sevice manuals & see if the terminals are all the same in the bulkhead. They changed the plugs for the engine harness every couple years I can check that too! Bob

OP
OP
C

custom1936

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks

Thanks, any help greatly appreciated. The one I bought is off a 1987 Ramcharger, the guy didn't say if it was fuel injected or not. I don't know when dodge started on the trucks. I got the complete dash harness and fuse box assembly also from same truck just in case my problem might be in there somewhere. I'm pretty positive with the way the wiring under the hood looks that is where the problem is. The wires are so dried and cracked the covering is off everywhere , lots of bare wires. And too many hands been in it allready. Thanks agian.