Need to finish speaker install, what's this black goop holding my vapor shields on?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
I have to finish my speaker install by drilling new holes for the speaker mounts [stock were 3 point, new duds are 4-point] and this vapor shield will prevent me from reaching back and putting a hex key in the bolt to hold it in place while I tighten the nut down from the other side.

Now, I would just take it off and put it back on, but there's this black goop holding it there, and I don't know what it is, where to get more, and, most importantly, if it'll be reusable by just resticking the vapor shield on it/on the door.

So yeah, if you guys can just shoot me the info on what this guck is, I'd be really grateful. Thanks. :D

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
It’s just a silicone/glue. You can pull it off easily enough or just cut out a little section to reach what you want. If it won’t stick back on just use some silicone or glue to help. It’s not a big deal

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah it’s just an adhesive. You can usually pull the vapor barrier off, but sometimes it’s stuck on there like hell. The good thing is it’s pretty gummy stuff so you can usually just stick the plastic barrier back on and it’ll stick just fine.

OP
OP
Drunken Hamster

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
Yeah it’s just an adhesive. You can usually pull the vapor barrier off, but sometimes it’s stuck on there like hell. The good thing is it’s pretty gummy stuff so you can usually just stick the plastic barrier back on and it’ll stick just fine.
Okay, I'll try. If it doesn't work, I can always just ride to Home Depot with the door panels in the seat and get the **** there. Still need to know what it is though... Should I just ask for silicone glue? Or is there something specific that I need to be using like Flex Seal?

Sent from my magic 5-inch

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When I pulled mine in my challenger it had the same stuff. It looks like the butyl tape we use at my work when installing glass.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Okay, I'll try. If it doesn't work, I can always just ride to Home Depot with the door panels in the seat and get the **** there. Still need to know what it is though... Should I just ask for silicone glue? Or is there something specific that I need to be using like Flex Seal?

Sent from my magic 5-inch
It’s like a butyl rubber adhesive. They have this stuff called “strip caulk” that’s pretty similar. It’s probably the closest thing you’re gonna find to the factory stuff. You could maybe heat it up with a heat gun when you put it on and that will help it last. If you need to use that stuff at least.