Need to rewire - do it myself or take it to a shop?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yoox_II

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
A wire began smoking over the driver side fender and as a reflex I hit the brakes got out and yanked the wires away from the smoking one to prevent further damage, however by doing this I cracked/disconnected some other wires. They are all old and brittle and need to be replaced, especially since the incident. I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to wiring and fusable links and stuff - and I know a wiring harness is very expensive. I could buy wiring separately instead of buying a harness, which would be way cheaper, but I am just wondering if you guys think I would just get myself into an even deeper problem trying to do it myself, and not using a harness.
Would giving the truck to a shop and telling them to simply fix my electronic issues be a better way for me since I am not great with wiring? Or is it do-able for people like me with the right clear instructions?

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They are all old and brittle and need to be replaced…….. I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to wiring and fusable links and stuff……..since I am not great with wiring?

Sounds to me like you've answered your own question……..

Egress

Reaction score
Ram Year
03 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 SLT
Engine
Stock 235hp 4.7L/287 V-8
me personally, if its something I have doubt in my own ability to do... i'd take it in and pay the extra bucks to get a warrantied job done, it helps me sleep better at night.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
if you got a haynes manual you could try identifying what wires are burnt and possibly look for other bad wires. if the truck is not your daily driver i would recommend you try doing some upgrades like installing a power distribution center. it would help get rid of some of the old wires and be good for your truck.