Need your opinions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Ok so I test drove a 1500 and felt like I was in a mid size truck. You guys were right I just can't do it. What was I thinking

It's amazing what a test drive will do. I get the warm a fuzzy feeling before I go test drive something then I it and it's either well that was dumb or where do I sign. Some how my dad went from a f-250(witch got stolen) to a Tacoma... I didn't get it he could of gotten a nicer halfton for almost the same price. He wanted a small truck and he got it.

demort71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Your truck is new? You are going to get hosed on trading your 2500. It depreciated the second you left the dealer, so that comes off the top. What customer will walk into the dealership and say, "Give me the used truck instead of the brand new truck with zero miles and a full warranty!"? The dealer has to discount it a lot to make a sale or wholesale it to come out and they know it. You aren't going to get what you need to. Then you have a stripper model on top of it. Bad merchandise at this point in its life! Drive it for 2 years and then trade it.

If you have to sell it, maybe you can reuse some of the options on your next truck or sell the equipment to make up some of the loss of trading it early.

Next time think about what you really want. The 1500 is OK for every day driving and you can tow quite a bit with it IMO, though I have older Rams with the leaf spring suspension. Maybe you don't need the 2500 for your needs next time around? Trucks aren't cheap any more either. If you keep the 2500, consider buying a 2 or 3 year old truck down the road with the equipment you really want, if you need to save some off the purchase price. Lots of trucks out there now.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Bear with me guys as my mind wanders a little. Here I am on the back porch looking at the good looking single blonde next door(1500), who has all the latest bolt on's, really everything a guy could want. Then I think of the 2500 I have here at the house, and wonder, what will it cost me to trade and will they give me any extra for the bolt on's I've invested in over the years. Maybe I'll try a test drive, but maybe I better not. IMHO sometimes it's better to keep what you got cause in the long run, the new ones just going to cost you lots of money too.
Jay

OP
OP
SwollenMonkey16

SwollenMonkey16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yea I don't know what I was thinking. There's no way I'm trading down to a 1500. Even with some of the less than perfect things the 2500 comes with, the 1500 has some of it's own as well. I'm keeping my baby and she's going to be mine for a while. I had to make it up to her so getting a remote start put in her right now hopefully she'll forgive me

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I really doubt that you'll save much on gas here. The 5.9 hemi is also very thirsty... Depending on your driving style you could be getting 12-17 mpg average. I'm getting 14 mpg on highway.

I've got a 2014 Ram 1500 Big Horn, 5.7 Hemi, 20-inch tires, 8-speed transmission with the 3.92 LSD and my summertime fuel average (June - Sept 2017) was 19.46. I've hit 21+ dozens of times, and once got 24.92 MPG on a trip (hand calculated). My life time average stands at 18.37 as of today. Since I lived in Amarillo for a short time, I can guess why Texans see lower gas mileage numbers :). But I'm sure the vast majority of people with a 1500 Hemi will get much better than 14 highway.

Regards,
Dusty

Ramit355

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Laramie Sport 4WD
Engine
I have a Laramie 1500..... Its not Thirsty much at all...I drive Highway 85% and 15% towns....gets ave of 19 to 20 Mpg. Its as Comfortable as our Charger if not more. It pulls 8500 lbs Camper. and gator trailer with gator on it great. it goes in 5 inches of snow easy. My Gadgets seat warmers and steering wheel warmer is nice , with really liking my memory seat position after other around here has used my truck...I would miss it if I had not my gadgets. On open highway pulling nothing and at 65 Mph I get 21 MPG. Its got 46000 miles on it and 4 years old, not had any issues at all . I really like my 1500 quite well.

King nothing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
My evic says I'm averaging 9.5mpgs. Fuelio says I average between 9.5-10.2. Everyone has very valid points too. And I appreciate everyone's input. You guys just made me second guess myself
Wow, you’re making me feel better. I’m averaging 11 and have been worrying there’s something wrong with my truck. Damn winter fuel

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

[email protected]

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I picked up my 2500 in 1600 I will never go back to a 1500. Love my 2500. Went from a 2011 1500. Keep it or get a new 2500

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
You would never get me to swap a solid axle for the junk you will get in the 1500. Secondly, just park next to a 1500, the 2500's are stout even stock, you have to do a lot to a 1500 to get the same look. Why would you want to do that, especially after upgrading it? My biggest mistake was not getting a 2500 in the first place.

^ THIS!