New 2016 & replacing gearbox at 400miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

samiam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel
I traded in my 1500 Hemi and bought a 2016 2500 SLT 4x4. I love the truck, but noticed on the 3hr drive home that the alignment and steering wheel (3deg. to the left) was off. I called the dealership close to my house. Dropped it off on a Monday picked it up Tuesday w/them saying it's aligned. As I was leaving the dealership I noticed the steering wheel was about 4 deg to the right and truck was loose. Took truck back Thursday; they called to say I need a new gearbox. Because every time they make an ajustment and dive it; the alignment changes. I called the original dealerships service department, they said: one of their employees had a sim problem with the same truck and year as mine.

I also called my cousin who just quit Saginaw Steering Gear after 10+ years.

Has anyone else had a problem with the gearbox and alignment issues?

homebrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Having a similar issue but I have leveled my truck. So I leveled my truck and took it n for an alignment, the steering wheel was off just a little to the left afterwards but I had to get to work so I figured I would take it back and have it checked again when I had the time. Just over 2 weeks later my steering wheel looked like this. I need to rent a tourque wrench and tourque down my track bar as the one I have only goes to 150. I just had it realigned I'm going to tighten up the trac bar today and see how it holds up.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 101
OP
OP
S

samiam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Homebrew,

1st alignment steering wheel went from left to right side. 2 more alignments, steering wheel still on right side. They said they changed out the gearbox and truck handles like night and day now. I drop truck off 3 time, pick it up and it still handles the same...Hmmm? I'm paying an alignment shop to fix it; since dealership can't! I also find out they were aligning the truck with over inflated tires by 10-13lbs. Have a student doing the work. Yes, student's need hands on experience, but why is no one watching and checking their work! But the student shouldn't be marking work as completed on service order; when it was never done!

I think the dealership thinks because I'm a girl they can say what ever and I'll believe them....:rotflmao:
Both my parents are gear heads. I spent many days and nights with them working on vehicles.
IMG_2453 (1).JPG

homebrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
They may be unrelated issues but imma take my truck back in to shop and have the alignment check Ina few weeks. As of now it looks and feels good. Hope they figure yours out.

hounddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 laramie 2500 credit cab 4x4 cummins
Engine
6.7 Cummins
HD trucks are not glorified cars like 1500s are. They're trucks with a solid front axle.

They tend to drift slightly with the crown of the road. You'll notice on a 4 lane roadway that it will drift slightly right and steering wheel left in the slow lane, and drift left with steering wheel right in the passing lane.

Your second photo illustrates that. It's normal, and requires every 5k to 6k miles tire rotation to make tires wear smoothly. It's part of owning a solid axle front end heavy duty truck. The modern ones are Sooooo much better than the 3rd gen