New 2017 Ram 1500 CrewCab EcoDiesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Paul84043

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 ecodiesel
Hello all, just getting my foot in the door. A week ago we brought home our new Ram 1500. It's been a bit of a process, I have had it planned from the financial side for almost a year, things finally started to happen in Feb.
Traded in our 2012 Jeep Wrangler which we will miss dearly. It was a great vehicle, my second Wrangler, everyone loved it. It was the Crush Orange Sport Unlimited with some mods and we would remove the top and it would stay off all summer.
The new truck is the 1500 Crew Cab Laramie in Granite Crystal, 5'7" bed. To be honest I wasn't particularly blown away by any of their colors in 17 or 18, I would have loved to get a hold of the Crush orange they had in 16'. I've already walked up to the wrong dark metallic grey truck in a parking lot. :disgust: That never happened with the jeep. But... in the sun the Granite Crystal is a very nice color.
We knew we didn't want white or silver. There are SO MANY white and silver cars here in Utah it's mind boggling.. I love black but it just gets so dirty. As it panned out, the dealership we were looking at, Dennis Dillon in Caldwell Id., this was the ONLY one left in the trim package we wanted so the choice was much simpler. We lucked out and got cash down on this one before any of the 18 other people that were looking at it...
Their prices are unbelievable, nobody here in Utah could touch them so it was worth the 6 hour drive.
Window sticker was just under $56k. Their price was $42.5k plus two discounts I qualified for, got the truck for $40.5k before the trade. I was out the door after trade, taxes and extended warranty for $36k.
They also currently include a lifetime powertrain warranty that includes the Turbo for as long as I own the truck. I can take it to any certified mechanic. Really loving that.

Having owned two TDI Jetta's, I'm not new to the diesel world and this EcoDiesel is just amazing. We averaged 27.2 coming home from Idaho and our overall mix now with a 60 mile daily commute is just over 24. We've gone an entire week, 350 miles and have only hit half tank. The Jeep averaged about 18.5.
After a decade of only driving manual transmissions, this has been a major adjustment but it's coming along. I'm no longer fishing my arm out into open air to grab a shifter. I did slam on the brakes once going for the clutch that's no longer there, luckily there was nobody around to witness it...:idiot:
My Jeep lasted two days on their website and has now moved on to the second phase of it's life.. Someone got an amazingly capable vehicle and I hope they enjoy it as much as we did.
I'm loving the interior, the ride, and the power. Still getting used to the size, I had to do some major rearranging in the garage to fit the beast in..
We tow a small trailer with a RZR that I'm sure this truck will not even know is there. That will be nice too..
Coming from the Jeep world, I'm used to a vehicle that's basically a Lego set and I'm resisting the urge to bail straight into the modding world until I get a feel for the truck and what mods will make it fit our usage..
So, that's my story, just saying Hi, looking forward to reading up on the Ram in this forum.
Thanks..

Paul

Podcast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Welcome. I'm loving my new EcoD too. I've gotten 29mpg on winter blended fuel and freezing temps on longer drives. I average about what you do too on my daily commutes. I do miss the get up and go off my former Hemi but I'll take the EcoD any day for efficiency and towing.

FXCLM5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie CC
Engine
ED 3.0 V6
welcome, i traded my 14 hemi for a 17 ecod

stay away from the ram1500diesel.com forum

if you go onto that forum, it will make you wonder why you bought a ecodiesel, too many ppl ******** and whining, threads started just to speculate like

how many 2017 engines have blown up etc....

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Congrats on your new Ram and good luck with the Eco-Diesel. DD sure does have great prices. If he'd have had the options I wanted, I would have flown there and driven back!

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
congrats! great choice. hope it treats you well Paul. I'm sure you will love your new ram like most of us here do.

RamInfo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Congrats on the new truck. You got the high-class color, too!
:)

Best,
DG

OP
OP
P

Paul84043

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 ecodiesel
Thanks for the welcome and the warnings... I'm no stranger to forums.. I keep my flame suit close.

travelinty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Granite crystal for the win lol. I'm the same hate white n black just personal preference nothing against anyone who does. And the lime green was a bit much. But even during are worst winter it doesn't show that bad. I almost wish I went ED but the sport only has the Hemi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Typetwelve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0
Welcome...I too just recently purchased a new '17 1500 ED. Like some have said, go to ram1500diesel at your own mental risk, I wish I had been warned.

I'm not one to be happy with a vehicle if someone gets me thinking its going to grenade on me and according to those guys there, that's exactly what every last ED on the planet is going to do...and them some. I read a bunch of threads and had a minor freak out...

I finally had to calm down and let it go...

So far I'm 2500 miles in and love my truck...

*EDIT*

They'll also make it sound that if you don't drop a ton of $$ on a GDE Hot tune, that your rig will explode...killing anywhere in between 12 to 297 homeless kids.

Defuse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.2
welcome, i traded my 14 hemi for a 17 ecod

stay away from the ram1500diesel.com forum

if you go onto that forum, it will make you wonder why you bought a ecodiesel, too many ppl ******** and whining, threads started just to speculate like

how many 2017 engines have blown up etc....

Aint that the truth. That site is like EcoD cancer

Defuse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.2
Welcome...I too just recently purchased a new '17 1500 ED. Like some have said, go to ram1500diesel at your own mental risk, I wish I had been warned.

I'm not one to be happy with a vehicle if someone gets me thinking its going to grenade on me and according to those guys there, that's exactly what every last ED on the planet is going to do...and them some. I read a bunch of threads and had a minor freak out...

I finally had to calm down and let it go...

So far I'm 2500 miles in and love my truck...

*EDIT*

They'll also make it sound that if you don't drop a ton of $$ on a GDE Hot tune, that your rig will explode...killing anywhere in between 12 to 297 homeless kids.

It's just a bunch of BS. I have 66k on my EcoD and have had zero problems.

Jeff CA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check out the thread called best mods for under $100 & let the mods begin! Might I suggest starting with factory DRLs? Mine were free...