New 6.4, 4000 miles/a quart low on oil???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
Try a Denali in Yukon or Sierra dress with the 6.2... you'll be very surprised. I have a Ram 6.4 and love it... it's a great truck motor. I also have a Yukon Denali with the 6.2. There is no comparison. At. All. That Denali flat-out hauls ass for an SUV.

I’ve always thought it would be interesting to see how the HD truck 6.4 performed swapped into a much lighter vehicle. Shed a couple thousand pounds of weight off that drive train and it would be funny to see the results. The engine is not designed for true performance but it would still haul ass just on brute force lol.

I haven’t had the chance to try out one of those new GM N/A 6.2’s but everything I have seen says they are very fast. I will say that the most equal comparison to that 6.2 from what we currently have out of Mopar would be the SRT 6.4. As powerful as the Ram HD 6.4 feels its like entering a new dimension when I’m in the 6.4 Charger. And that’s still almost a 5000 pound vehicle with a couple people in it. Though completely different from the HD 6.4. Different block/heads, etc etc, the SRT 6.4 was built off the 5.7. The Durango/Jeep 392s are the real competition against those GM trucks/SUVs and they will outperform them. The (4th gen) Ram 1500 doesn’t/didn’t really have an engine to compete with the 6.2 Silverado. The 5.7 is powerful but it would easily get walked every time against the 6.2. It would have needed the SRT 6.4 to come out on top. It looks like Ram will be at least some what filling that performance void with the 5th gen but who knows how accessible it will be.

I think after another model year or two they should make the SRT 6.4 available in some of the more special trims like Rebel/Longhorn/Limited for people who want superior performance but don’t want to spend $80k+ and then also offer the new N/A SRT 7.0 and an optional Hellcat in pure performance models like a TRX Raptor fighter and single cab SRT10-like remake for the strip. They have said in the past there aren’t plans to put the 6.4 in the Rams... I don’t know why, since it has been in the Jeep for years and now also Durango. They don't even need to make it crazy, just give it the engine, maybe a few suspension tweaks and slightly more powerful brakes. Make it a package deal with mandatory air suspension upgrade. It would still be way cheaper than a full SRT model. It seems it is all but certain there will be a true high performance Ram (Hellcat levels), but I also think they should have a more affordable and widely available performance option to battle the GM trucks with 6.2's and even the Ecoboosts. That is where the 6.4 would come in. Especially since it has been around a good chunk of years already and if they really are coming out with a 7.0, why not start trickling the 6.4 down. It gets almost the same MPG as the 5.7 but feels like double the performance! I think Hellcat Rams are going to pass $100k pretty easy. I would love a 6.4 powered Limited 1500.

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I hear you. It would be nice to see FCA carry on the old Chrysler's heritage by being edgy. The Dodge boys weren't afraid of being different back in the day. That's how they made a name for themselves.

I guess it's really apples to oranges comparing an SRT model to a GM 6.2 because the SRTs are a limited production and the 6.2s are all over the place. The GM equivalent of a truck "SRT" right now would be the Tahoe RS... supercharged 6.2... there are many versions of it as well.

I guess what it comes down to for me is, and I think it's kind of along the lines of what you're saying also, why does it have to be the top [read: most expensive] models to get performance? The 5.7 is a great motor, but it is a dinosaur and the brand needs a refresh on their powertrains for sure. They've ridden on the "Hemi" wave long enough, it's time to make the brand a real performance contender across all platforms. Hell, bring Plymouth back with a GTX, roadrunner, 'Cuda or even a Superbird and mean business... not just decals!

Sal2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I'm a retired dealer mechanic, that's nothing to be concerned about and they'll all break in differently depending on many factors.
Now that you got 5K on it I'd suggest going out and really putting your foot in it and taking it to redline thru the lower gears 10-12 times. That will probably get the rings optimally seated and end abnormal oil consumption.

Sal2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I think after another model year or two they should make the SRT 6.4 available in some of the more special trims like Rebel/Longhorn/Limited for people who want superior performance but don’t want to spend $80k+ and then also offer the new N/A SRT 7.0 and an optional Hellcat in pure performance models like a TRX Raptor fighter and single cab SRT10-like remake for the strip. .

If your old enough you remember the days when you could go to the dealer, order a base model with the biggest power package available. Even be able to check the boxes for radio and heater delete to save a few more pounds and dollars. I don't want to have to laden my truck with an extra 500 pounds in high end trim options to get the best engine, that is backwards thinking.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
because the SRTs are a limited production and the 6.2s are all over the place.

Good point. And of course the conversation is always Hemi because that’s what they made their identity. They just completely took the ball and ran with it especially since Hellcat. Brotherhood of muscle going to a small displacement turbo 6? Can’t see them doing that. So it’s kind of like, what can they do? If they offer up a turbo Pentastar it might be Pentastar vs Hemi infighting. The 5.7 is getting to the end of its usefulness at least as it is. Ford has been making a lot of power out of small Ecoboosts for a few years now. Personally I think FCA should keep their Hemi, big V8 muscle identity as long as they can because it certainly fills a market of people who don’t want small high strung motors. But they gotta do something about the 5.7 starting to fall behind. I feel it would be better to just start to phase in the 6.4 rather than completely revamp the 5.7. Because the 6.4 already makes huge power and is basically already just a balls to the wall 5.7... Funniest part is, the 5.7 is not slow by any means. We just live in a world now where everything is getting really fast.

I think for now the E-Torque system is a good little stop gap, but that’s all it is.

Now that we are completely off topic here lol.

CMV157

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Fuel mileage would be a MAJOR concern with this idea. But I'd like to see a forced induction heavy duty motor tuned for 1500-3500 RPM torque and keep the horsepower and higher RPM boost very conservative for reliability and heat control. Pair that to a tough 8 speed. Put that system on a revamped hemi or a new larger displacement straight 6. Have an up charge around the same as a cummins. You'd have something that would put a dent in diesel sales for sure.

pwjouster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Try a Denali in Yukon or Sierra dress with the 6.2... you'll be very surprised. I have a Ram 6.4 and love it... it's a great truck motor. I also have a Yukon Denali with the 6.2. There is no comparison. At. All. That Denali flat-out hauls ass for an SUV.

i used to drive my mothers yukon denali with the 6.2. great engine but still feel like the 6.4 pulls harder at speed sometimes.

i loved it. but moreso the magnetic ride control shocks/ struts where off the wall. flat as a brick through the curves.

if your in the right gear, at the right time, at the right speed, with the right amount of lead foot, this truck can astonish you.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
I just think its funny given its weight. Even the 6.4 trucks with a full tank and a pile of typical gear with a 35” spare and just yourself in the truck and you’re talking about a vehicle that weighs almost 8000 pounds, or even top 8000. The 6.2 GM’s weight I’d say 6,500 max with a couple people and some extras inside. 1500 pounds ain’t exactly just an extra bag of groceries. Plus Chrysler does have handicapped conservative tuning on these drive trains, and rightly so IMO.

The 6.2 would be even better if GM offered a lower gearing option. I’m surprised they don’t in the Silverado. SUV’s I kind of get. I wish GM would sell a 2500 Suburban to the public again with a new engine option, I might be interested in that.

Magnetic ride control is legit. I had an old Cadi Seville with the “original” magnetic ride control.. way back before it was called that. Shocked some people with how well that old man car handled. I think if the elderly knew how some of those old Cadillacs actually could be driven they would have had heart failure.

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I just think its funny given its weight. Even the 6.4 trucks with a full tank and a pile of typical gear with a 35” spare and just yourself in the truck and you’re talking about a vehicle that weighs almost 8000 pounds, or even top 8000. The 6.2 GM’s weight I’d say 6,500 max with a couple people and some extras inside. 1500 pounds ain’t exactly just an extra bag of groceries. Plus Chrysler does have handicapped conservative tuning on these drive trains, and rightly so IMO.

The 6.2 would be even better if GM offered a lower gearing option. I’m surprised they don’t in the Silverado. SUV’s I kind of get. I wish GM would sell a 2500 Suburban to the public again with a new engine option, I might be interested in that.

Magnetic ride control is legit. I had an old Cadi Seville with the “original” magnetic ride control.. way back before it was called that. Shocked some people with how well that old man car handled. I think if the elderly knew how some of those old Cadillacs actually could be driven they would have had heart failure.
Not positive, but I believe they are putting the 10-speed behind the 6.2 this year.

MasonD21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HemiWagon
Ok, so last weekend I changed the oil/filter in my 6.4 power wagon. The oil coming out looked great, but smelled terrible. Kind of a mix of rotting vegetables and gasoline. This is the third oil change, and this was a relatively early cycle (about 3100 miles). My truck spends a lot of time idling in my driveway in the winter with a short trip to work and home daily (i remote start it and let it warm up every morning). But the smell of the oil on this particular change is new.

Should I be worried about this?

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
Well how severe is the gas smell? Like if you took a match to it you’d torch yourself? I’d say it’s because of lots of idling, especially in cold weather. I would start taking it out back or on the highway and opening it up a bit.

pwjouster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

had no idea it wa around back then...did the deville have it at a certain point?

always loved the way those cars rode.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
had no idea it wa around back then...did the deville have it at a certain point?

always loved the way those cars rode.

The Deville (2000-2005) never received the Magnetic Ride Control. But the first version debuted in the 2002+ Seville STS. I had an ’05 Deville DTS and had picked up a used ’04 Seville STS with the MagnaRide. The Deville had auto adjusting suspension and rode very nice but you could feel the difference on the Seville, especially back in those days. One of the best cars I ever owned. It’s a shame so many of those cars got trashed. I kind of regret selling it when I think about it, but those cars had their share of issues.

MasonD21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HemiWagon
Well how severe is the gas smell? Like if you took a match to it you’d torch yourself? I’d say it’s because of lots of idling, especially in cold weather. I would start taking it out back or on the highway and opening it up a bit.
I tend to drive it like a baja truck on the weekends. But you're right, it does get a lot of idle time, and with a 2 mile drive to work, it's a challenge to let it warm up during the work week.

I generally remote start it, let it run for 4-6 minutes. My drive to work is only 5 minutes. But I figure a 10 minute run time is better than only a 5 minute run time. Maybe I'm wrong?

slacadjuster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I tend to drive it like a baja truck on the weekends. But you're right, it does get a lot of idle time, and with a 2 mile drive to work, it's a challenge to let it warm up during the work week.

I generally remote start it, let it run for 4-6 minutes. My drive to work is only 5 minutes. But I figure a 10 minute run time is better than only a 5 minute run time. Maybe I'm wrong?

Yes you're wrong. Driving your truck is WAY better (even if only 5 minutes) than let it sit and idle. Todays modern engines, they need to be driven so the oil pump can circulate the oil better.
Especially these Hemi's. As soon as I start my Ram, I drive it, regardless of weather conditions.

A buddy of mine had filings in the oil pan on his Hemi. Truck was done, motor *****....The mechanic asked him specifically if he idled his truck lots....He did...sometimes for 20 minutes at a time.
And in the owners manual with my truck, states in big bold letters at the beginning, AVOID PROLONGED IDLING.