New Cummins. Need help!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mxracer81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.1
So I just bought a 3rd gen cummins (my first diesel) I have a few questions. What do I do for maintenance besides changing the oil and oil filters? Also it's lifted 6" and the front end is wicked loose and it leaks steering fluid. Will I need certain parts because of the lift or can I use regular dodge 2500 parts? The previous owner said it needs a steering box and front bushings.. Anyone know a good online store that sells a good quality part for a good price? Sorry for all the stupid questions this is all new to me so bear with me lol. Oh yea why doesn't the park,drive reverse show up on my dash.. how do I fix that? Let me know Thanks

USMC1188

Reaction score
Ram Year
None
Engine
Truckless...
So I just bought a 3rd gen cummins (my first diesel).

Congrats!!!!!

What do I do for maintenance besides changing the oil and oil filters?

Depending on which oil you prefer, change oil and filter in between 7,000 and 25,000 miles(I run Amsoil). Change your fuel filter every 10,000 miles (I use the Baldwin PF7977, it is the best). Check your front end parts every so often. If you have greasable u-joints and ball joints, keep up with those. I use Diesel Kleen in my fuel every fill up as well. It is recommended that transmission fluid (automatic) is changed out with a filter every 30,000 miles unless you are using a premium fluid (Amsoil for me!), differentials are right around the same, but I don't remember (Amsoil in those for me too!). Make sure your air filter stays clean. Besides that, drive it, and enjoy it!

SAlso it's lifted 6" and the front end is wicked loose

There are many parts to help fix that. I would start with a new steering damper (I have a Bilstein 5100).

Will I need certain parts because of the lift or can I use regular dodge 2500 parts? The previous owner said it needs a steering box and front bushings..

You can use factory parts... Mopar has an upgraded steering box that may help with your loose steering as well. Which front bushings?

Anyone know a good online store that sells a good quality part for a good price?

Xtreme Diesel Performance and Thoroughbred Diesel are generally my go-to places for parts. They are very reasonably priced and have a huge selection.

Sorry for all the stupid questions this is all new to me so bear with me lol.

None of these are stupid, you have to start somewhere!

Oh yea why doesn't the park,drive reverse show up on my dash.. how do I fix that? Let me know Thanks
This is a tough one... I would start and make sure everything is plugged in as it should. Look for any tugged or pinched wires.

If the truck was originally a manual and was switched to a automatic, then you won't have those lights either. The gauge cluster would need swapped for an automatic one.

Statcher1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Congrats on the Cummins man. And listen to USMC. It sounds like he knows what he's talking about.

Sent from the Rocket in my Pocket