New Dodge Ram wouldn't shift into gear tonight. Possible Causes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vaughn4380

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Hello, new to the forum and unfortunately my first post will be for a problem with my new truck. I bought a Ram 1500 SLT a month ago, currently have 1120 miles on it, it has the Pentastar V6 and eight speed auto. Jumped in it tonight to head to the store, fired it up, and when I shifted into drive the LED light above the "D" on the dash rotary knob started to flash and when you pushed the gas the engine rev'd up but the truck wouldn't go. There was no message on the dash when this happened.

Shifting back to park, shutting the motor off and re-starting it, then shifting into drive, seemed to fix it for tonight. But now I am wondering what the heck happened.

Anyone else had this problem? Possible causes?

Thanks in advance for your ideas.

BAILEY1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 2500
Engine
Dat Cummins!
Did you by chance happen to move the shifter knob before applying the brake?

OP
OP
V

Vaughn4380

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Did you by chance happen to move the shifter knob before applying the brake?

I don't think so, if you try to move the knob without applying the brake, the knob will not move. At least, it hasn't when I tried in the past. Of course, I wasn't really thinking about it until the truck wouldn't move.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Hmm I would monitor this very close. I'll poke around see what I can find.

$miley

ramguy11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This happened to me not too long ago.
(2013 ram 1500 express 5.7 6 speed)
I shifted the truck into reverse as usual except this time when I gave it has it didn't go anywhere...
I put the truck back into park and ban into reverse. Gave it some gas and away it went. Hasn't done it since but I haven't been cutting it close lately pulling out or crossing traffic. If it is a linkage problem a bump or turn could slip it out of gear and make you a sitting duck. Hard to trust.

Eram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Laramie 4X4
Engine
Hemi
I have the revers engagement problem also more then 5 times 3 - 5 second delay. I'm bringing it into the dealers on Monday. truck has 1400 miles on it.

darrelg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
8 speed trans trouble

when I parked my 2013 5,7 litter hemi with the 8 speed it won't shift into park. Tried starting stopping engine moving in drive and reverse still won't go into park can't take the key out and had to disconnect battery just to shut off the lights and keep it from killing the battery. any ideas? only 1200 kms on truck

jdolotina

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have noticed the same thing a few times with my eight speed. If you apply the brake, and release the brake before actually getting into gear the truck will blink the light. Always make sure you are holding the brake pedal down until you are done shifting.

If you turn the radio and air off, and put your ear near the dial, when you press or release the brake you will hear an electronic actuator lock behind the dial. This is what keeps the dial from moving when the pedal is released. If the pedal is pressed, the lock is moved, and allows you to shift into gear. This only works if the truck is running.

My only conclusion here, is that you are releasing the pedal, but the actuator didn't get to lock because you might have been between the detents. However, if the pedal is released the tranny won't shift even if you were able to move the knob. When this happens you will also notice in the EVIC that the "D" will blink. To remedy the situation if it happens again, just press the brake, shift to park, and move back to drive, THEN release the pedal. No need to restart.

The times that this happened to me, I have typically been in a rush. I hope this makes sense.

Josh

Joshoddo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi 8 speed
I started my truck up yesterday and put it into drive and the D on the dash started blinking and it wouldn't move. I then shifted it into park and back into drive three times before it would engage. it almost felt like there was not transmission fluid in the tranny. Then later that day when I was in the Wendys drive thru I put it in park to get my credit card out when I put it back into drive it wouldn't move again and the D was blinking. I kept shifting it in and out of park and then it finally kicked in. Over 50 grand for a truck and it is less reliable than my 1992 cummins or my 1997 magnum...

Joshoddo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi 8 speed
Update... I just picked up my truck from the dealer. They Flashed three different things and when I was leaving The blower for the heat wouldn't turn on. I'll bring it back in the morning.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Update... I just picked up my truck from the dealer. They Flashed three different things and when I was leaving The blower for the heat wouldn't turn on. I'll bring it back in the morning.

any change in the trans shift points?

yohan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 ST Quad 4x4
Engine
V6 3.6L Pentastar
Just want to chime in on this, I have the same thing happen, usually seems to be when I'm going from reverse to drive and vice versa, but it blinks and I'll be in neutral.

I'll pay attention to ensure I've got my foot on the brake while completing the shift, this is probably what it is. I always just press the brake on and shift back to neutral then into D/R and I'm good to go again.

Jennifer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Our new 2017 dodge was doing this as well. It has so far had a cylinoid in the transmission changed and now the power distribution center replaced as well. Our 2002 Dakota was more reliable than this truck. Only has 8600 on it. Dealership here in Canada said the cylinoid was a recall and didn't believe us that it was not fixed the second time. Had to take a video as no check engine light came up at first.

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
Not sure what's so hard about flashing the truck, I took mine in for a brake controller flash and took 3+ tries to take and 2 trips to dealer.

Paulo Silveira

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2018 Ram 1500 4x4 crew with the same issue. Dealership has flashed two things and worked for a while. It happens again twice in the past week just by shifting from Drive to Reverse and vice-versa.
Has anyone been able to determine what is causing it?
Any ideas who we can contact for this to be fixed?