New fuel pump installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Good morning everyone. I have a 2004 Ram 1500 with the hemi. New fuel pump installed yesterday by mobile mechanic. Came home from work to test drive. Engine cranked but did not fire right away. Eventually the hemi fired. Went for a drive, a mile or less. Came to a stop and engine died. Was hard to restart, had to press and pump accelerator. Got home and turned off engine. I tried to restart again and did not fire up. The CEL shows a random miss and crankshaft position sensor. What are your thoughts?

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

BrianandChrissy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 big horn crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi, vararam CAI
The position sensor is easy to replace. The random misfire can be easily pinpointed by moving the coil in question to a different cylinder and seeing if you get the same misfire of that cylinder. Are you sure you didnt mean camshaft position sensor btw?
Good morning everyone. I have a 2004 Ram 1500 with the hemi. New fuel pump installed yesterday by mobile mechanic. Came home from work to test drive. Engine cranked but did not fire right away. Eventually the hemi fired. Went for a drive, a mile or less. Came to a stop and engine died. Was hard to restart, had to press and pump accelerator. Got home and turned off engine. I tried to restart again and did not fire up. The CEL shows a random miss and crankshaft position sensor. What are your thoughts?

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The mobile mechanic said crankshaft position sensor in a text to me. He did not specify which cylinder is missing.

OP
OP
B

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Honestly, go with a Mopar pump if you can afford it. I don`t know your brand but Airtex pumps are not dependable from my experience.
I am unsure of the brand. The mobile mechanic ordered the pump from a local salvage yard for 83 dollars. He is telling me that the crankshaft position sensor is bad this causes the hard start. Also he says that a couple of the ignition coils are bad.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

14RAM1500BG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It`s only my opinion but I find it hard to believe the coils, pump and sensor all failed. Sounds like he put in a used fuel pump????

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
A junkyard fuel pump hhmmmmm! Even my cheap ass would go new oe with a fuel pump. It’s not a 123 job, that’s why I would’ve went new oe. If it was a part that can be swapped in minutes, then I probably would go cheaper route. For a fuel pump, you definitely want oem, all others are junk out of box from my personal experience.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
Just finished a 10 yr assignment in the automotive parts industry. The advise posts are dead on. There are "some" parts on our vehicles that should always be OEM. Fuel pumps are one of the top 5. Power steering pumps. The aftermarket "pump assembly" parts are horrible quality. Some parts houses will not sell aftermarket pumps to friends and relatives. Quality repair stations refuse to offer aftermarket pumps. Big quality gap in this industry today.

OP
OP
B

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
So what is everyone's opinion about me replacing the eight ignition coils, spark plugs and crankshaft position sensor? Is any of this a waste of time and money?

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
How many miles? I wouldn't start throwing parts at it. Your tech should have a scan tool. hopefully he knows how to look at spark data etc before you replace a part. Strong suspicion that your start run problem is the fuel pump.

14RAM1500BG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Low fuel pressure will also cause a misfire code. Did he check the fuel pressure on the replacement pump? Also, If you do replace the crank sensor yourself be careful removing it. It can break off if it is stuck in there.

Last edited:

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
So what is everyone's opinion about me replacing the eight ignition coils, spark plugs and crankshaft position sensor? Is any of this a waste of time and money?

If I were you, I would find a different shop that has some high level tools that can give an answer to your problem instead of throwing parts at it. Coils aren’t cheap so get a good mechanic to dig into the pcm and evaluate the parameters of the sensors, fuel trim, 02 sensors, map, etc, etc.

14RAM1500BG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If I were you, I would find a different shop that has some high level tools that can give an answer to your problem instead of throwing parts at it. Coils aren’t cheap so get a good mechanic to dig into the pcm and evaluate the parameters of the sensors, fuel trim, 02 sensors, map, etc, etc.
What he said...........

OP
OP
B

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
How many miles? I wouldn't start throwing parts at it. Your tech should have a scan tool. hopefully he knows how to look at spark data etc before you replace a part. Strong suspicion that your start run problem is the fuel pump.
Mileage is around 105,000. I cannot contact the mobile mechanic. He is not returning calls or text.

OP
OP
B

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Low fuel pressure will also cause a misfire code. Did he check the fuel pressure on the replacement pump? Also, If you do replace the crank sensor yourself be careful removing it. It can break off if it is stuck in there.
I have replaced the crankshaft position sensor in the last two years and no problem removing old sensor

OP
OP
B

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I was not present for the fuel pump install. I do not know if he tested the fuel pressure on the rail.

LoneWolf3574

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mileage is around 105,000. I cannot contact the mobile mechanic. He is not returning calls or text.

That is, generally speaking, not a good sign sir.