New guys needs assistance please!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rocky_mtn_ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I took off my wheels today to inspect a horrific grinding sound coming from my driver side brake pads to reveal the inner pad closest to the caliper piston was completely melted to my rotor and a small chip missing in one of the caliper pistons. obviously I knew this needs attention, but then I look at my block on the drivers side and see coolant leaking from a freeze plug beneath the motor mount. Seriously? WOW! At any rate, can someone please provide me with a little detail on what replacing this freeze plug entails. Just jack it up and remove the motor mount and maybe exhaust manifold to allow access and chisel it out? What about installation? Just pound it in with a similar sized socket and some RTV? By the way, it's a 2001 Ram 1500 5.9L Sport 4x4 quad cab. Please help! Thanks a million in advance for any assitance provided.

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Welcome to the forum!!! Should be pretty straight forward.

Remove or relocate any obstructions.
Pry out the freeze plugs.
Beat new plugs in with a hammer.
Fill the cooling system.
Reposition any previously removed or relocated obstructions.
Run the engine intil it warms fully.
Check for leaks.
Remember to replace your engine coolant at recommended service intervals from now on.

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
Good call Tony, thats why you are a 2nd Gen "Pot Stirrin Super Mod"