New owner - What do I need to do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LoudDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I'm picking up my new 2012 Ram 2500 Bighorn Crewcab 4x4 with the Cummings 6.7 tomorrow!

I've never owned a diesel before and I know very little about diesel engines. I did all the homework to know this is what I wanted, now I'm trying to figure out what I need to do it!

I'm fairly competent with a gas engine, but this it totally new to me. Is there a website or a list or another thread that gives a 6.7 for dummies over view? I've been looking a little with not much luck.

I feel like a kid again buying my first car and trying to figure out what i need to do to take care of it!

I've always changed my own oil, I'm guessing it's the same or similar?

Are there any simple easy mods I really should do?

Additives?

I seen I should run with the exhaust beak on often, and run it hard the first few months.

Anything else? I'm excited and overwhelmed and tomorrow can't get here fast enough!

Laramie1997

Reaction score
Ram Year
1997 Ram/2013 Charger R/T Super Trak Pak
Engine
5.2 (318ci)/5.7 (345)
These 6.7's aren't all that different from gas motors to be honest. I've got a 2011 6.7 in the fleet along with my 2010 and it's about the same maintenance. What you've been reading about driving it hard is from what I see from your post, misinformed. These HD trucks have a break in period/tune where around the first 8-12k you'll feel like it doesn't have a lot of power and your fuel economy will suck. What it is meant to do is act as a break in period for the drive line and once it drops off, you'll be much much happier with it.

I can tell you though that if you have engine mods on the brain that you might as well forget them if you value your warranty. The data that that truck is logging all the time and knowing that it's sent to Chrysler every time you come in for any dealer maintenance should have your attention. As tightly tuned as these trucks are from the factory even a simple high flow air filter swap can throw the tune off and make the truck start running worse than it was before. Sounds asinine I know, but from what I've been reading/seeing it's true. You really need to be able to modify the truck's tune before you can start in with mods which again, it's not like gas motors where you can just jerk the tune off and take it in.

Welcome to the forum by the way! Oh, and it's Cummins. :)

SJP

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 dodge 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
edited .. please refrain from posting links to other forums .

Thanks
RF Staff

OP
OP
L

LoudDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
thanks, like I said I'm learning.

I've got friends with older diesels and they are always talking about mods and what not so i thought that was the norm. Finding out it's not with this one.

Also seen that the ride it hard advice may have been bad too.

Cummins, right. I think I can blame auto correct for that one:doh2:

infernoredram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Welcome and congrats! Those new 800 series 6.7s are monsters! When it comes to maintanance, it's the usual stuff with the oil change and filters (especially fuel filter...I learned the hard way). Im not too sure if theres extra maintance for the DPF (diesel particulate filter) and EGR (exhaust gas recirculator), but i dont think there is. Those two parts I mentioned are emission controllers that can be deleted, which I highly recommend (more power, fuel economy, and less parts to worry about). Do you plan on keeping the truck stock under the hood?

OP
OP
L

LoudDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Thanks!

For now it's staying stock, don't want to kill the warranty.

Does removing the DPF and EGR void warranty or make me fail emissions?

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
Thanks!

yes in some states

Laramie1997

Reaction score
Ram Year
1997 Ram/2013 Charger R/T Super Trak Pak
Engine
5.2 (318ci)/5.7 (345)
Thanks!

You can kiss your warranty good bye as well. It's just like I outlined earlier in the thread, you can't do a lot to these trucks right now. They are logging way too much data to mod and keep a warranty.

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
1996 Dodge 1500 (V8-5.9L) & 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 (5.9L Cummins)
yes in ALL states

Smog equipment is a FEDERAL thing not a state thing. Even though in my area of Idaho there is no smog check but if I was to move to Boise, ID it would fail instantly.

Memo 1A. This refers to a U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) memorandum that says it's illegal to remove, disconnect or disable a required emissions control device on any pollution controlled motor vehicle (PCMV), pretty much any 1968 (1966 in California) or later model year car/light duty vehicle used on public roads. What this means is that even if you don't have a local emissions-testing requirement, technically you can still break federal law by chucking/disabling your vehicle's smog equipment.

So becareful what you do and understand what you maybe getting yourself into with the Dealer as well as local smog laws and regulations.

One of the wonderful reason to look at the older Cummins... No junk... All engine... You got to remember diesel truck are following the same path of the 1960's muscle cars. As the muscle cars kept getting stronger the EPA / CARB kicked and started smoging car in the 1970's and de-tuned the vehicles even more so... So looking at Cummins diesel 1st and 12V 2nd Gen's are the 1960's muscle cars. 24V 2nd Gen's are the first version of smog which like the early 70's cars with PCV valve. Now you look at the CR engines it like looking at the 80's and 90's cars with all the smog device cats, smog pumps, vacuum lines... Etc.. You best going back to the older gens...

Last edited:

infernoredram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Michael's right about the old school Cummins...that's the cats meow when it comes to raw power. However, you really can't take anything away from 03-07 CR 5.9 or 08-present CR 6.7 (07 6.7 had a lot of kinks). Both CRs are GREAT engines and can do anything you put them up to do. My neighbor has an 08 6.7 bone stock with 300K miles (hot shot truck), with only having minor repairs and a torque converter. Shoot, stock the new 2012 Cummins is producing twice as much power as the old 12v and 100+ HP/ 300+ lb/ft of torque over the 24v.

Regardless, you got a great truck. Congrats and welcome to the cummins family.

SJP

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 dodge 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I posted some good info on other forum to try and help the OP out and my post got edited, can a mod please tell me why or anybody for that matter? Not trying to clutter up the OP's thread, just curious thats all.

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
1996 Dodge 1500 (V8-5.9L) & 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 (5.9L Cummins)
I posted some good info on other forum to try and help the OP out and my post got edited, can a mod please tell me why or anybody for that matter? Not trying to clutter up the OP's thread, just curious thats all.

You would have to talk to Ramhunter (Dave) about that...

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins

No forum allows links to other forums. If the info is good, copy and paste it here. Just the basic forum rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
no forum allows links to other forums. If the info is good, copy and paste it here. Just the basic forum rules.

Sent from my iphone using tapatalk

this ^

And SJP , your request to be terminated has been granted by my staff .
Thank you

infernoredram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
this ^

And SJP , your request to be terminated has been granted by my staff .
Thank you

I love how organized the Moderators are with this forum... Definitely got this **** on lock.

Handled like a boss too.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
From everything I've come to understand, You just gotta let that DPF get nice and warm (think long grade, not high load) to keep it cleared up from time to time.

Driving around town, short city trips *can* be *harder* on them.