New tires... mpg improved so far...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

Docpaulo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I know its not same tire im just sayin..Goin from old to new of same and you will loose mpg,more rolling resistance..So as i said,something else changed if mpg went up to which i have to question..
Yes. Tire diameter changed.. its not same tire size

OP
OP
D

Docpaulo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
So weights changed so theres mpg difference..
Dont see it goin up though..
Not trying to prove anything to you... gear ratio affects mpg otherwise we would all be running 4.88 or higher gears

If you dont believe it, your choice... i have the numbers to prove it.. you can do your own tire swap if you need to disprove my experience

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
relax....Dont get all bent outta shape now but with new bigger tires its odd that mpg goes up,so my point was that something else has to have changed..Maybe you know about it,maybe not..

OP
OP
D

Docpaulo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
relax....Dont get all bent outta shape now but with new bigger tires its odd that mpg goes up,so my point was that something else has to have changed..Maybe you know about it,maybe not..
I was ready for mpg loss when i got bigger tires... logic dictates it... point of post is it didnt happen...

Now i have 4.10 gears and the only explanation i can figure is my driving style makes the 4.10 gears inefficient and the larger tires by reducing the gear ratio makes the new final ratio better suited to my driving style... and improved mpg... the high gear ratio provides more pulling power at the expense of mpg...

OP
OP
D

Docpaulo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
DOC...Thats possible..One off sets the other to a degree...

To update.. been driving very short trips the last 2 weeks... 2 miles each way... mpg is down to 8... ouch...

Big tires and short trips are no good... mpg loss of 2mpg... highway miles are a positive... and appears to be 1 mpg better

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
In the high plains of the panhandles of both Texas, and Oklahoma it is not unheard of during the Winter and Spring seasons to have temperature swings of 50 degrees or more on a single calendar day. This is per the National Weather Service. It certainly ain't like that where most of the USA population lives.

My personal experience from living on the Colorado high plains east of Denver and travelling to Amarillo, Texas often is that both the tires and vehicle gas mileage during temperature swings has to be impacted. The TPMS especially senses these large temperature swings.

Basically on all my cars that have the TPMS, including the Power Wagon it will go off during major temperature swings if the tire pressures were set when the climate was warmer.

So to make the folks in these large temperature swing regions happy about their TPMS, the mechanics at my wife's previous Honda dealership personally told me that they will over inflate the customer tires by 5 psi.

You will get better gas mileage I understand during the warmer time of the days in both city and highway driving with the higher inflation. Unfortunately, the better gas mileage comes at the price of the tires wearing out right down in the middle.

Last edited: