New to diesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cornfed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I have just inherited my grandpa's 1999 2500 Cummins and I was wondering what all I need to watch out for in particular. I have a basic understanding of diesel motors but have never had to take care of one. Any tips or advice is greatly appreciated.

Ram444

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Try to find service records so you see what needs to be done to maximize the life of the truck

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
seems like you should know the Hx of the truck. learn where the fuel filter and water fuel separator are.

Shady

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Add some gauges. Especially a fuel pressure gauge if it doesn't already have one. The OEM lift pumps tend to crap out, leading to a VP 44 pump failure. $$
2wd or 4x4?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C

Cornfed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
4x4. My grandpa had a low fuel pressure light installed but I have been looking at gauges. Any suggestions? Also been wondering about the aftermarket lift pumps and filter setups. FASS, airdog, those types of setups. Are they worth it or should I just maintain the stock system?

Shady

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I had an airdog on my 99 for years and was very satisfied. You will probably find an equal numbers of fass fans. And a few other opinions. Like anything, do your research and As long as you have a way to monitor the pressure you'll be good to go. I had fuel pressure, egt, turbo, and tranny temp gauges. I also put some DDP 75 hp injectors in and a smarty. If it's an auto, you might want to start saving for a good, built transmission. I had a DTT tranny built up in Canada and it was awesome. Very bulletproof. However I would look into other transmission builders, such as Goerend?, as dealing with the front office at DTT was a very bad experience. I loved my 99. It was my favorite. My 2016 is very awesome, but time will tell if it fills the shoes of that old 99...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

BWC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
How many miles on the truck? Transmission type? What goals do you have with it?

OP
OP
C

Cornfed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
75000 miles, auto trans, 3.55. Not completely sure what I want to do with it yet. I'm leaning toward an overland/hunting/camping type setup.