New (to me) truck, a few questions!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KarnaughAtlas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ram 3500 DRW 6.7
Hey everyone, I just picked up an '07 3500 HD with the 6.7 and 84,000 on the odo. I love it!

I'm trying to figure out my max towing capacity, looking at this chart: http://www.rambodybuilder.com/2007/docs/dr/mlup.pdf

It looks like the SRW version of the 3500 can tow more than the DRW (which I have) - that doesn't seem right to me. Is this chart inaccurate?

devans

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No it isn't. What you're talking about is overall weight. The duelly has the extra tires, rims, fenders and whatever else all which makes it heavier. An SRW doesn't have all that so the extra weight isn't subtracted from the towing capacity. All a duelly really gives you is stability due to the wider stance in the back.
That's how it was explained to me when I asked years ago.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
@Devans, is that really true that you got a 5th gear od from putting a tcm in from a grand Cherokee? Please explain, I'm very interested. Did you have to program the pcm with the tcm?
I would love another gear in my trany.

Last edited:

Ram-Rod

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just like devans said, dually = stability. The truck weighs more, so that extra weight factors into overall numbers. What are you planning on towing with it?

OP
OP
K

KarnaughAtlas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ram 3500 DRW 6.7
Just like devans said, dually = stability. The truck weighs more, so that extra weight factors into overall numbers. What are you planning on towing with it?

We're planning to tow a 5th wheel RV. The one I'm looking at is about 13,000lbs empty/15,500 GVWR.