NEWBIE: 6" lift questions RAM 1500 4WD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jrmitt808

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey all,

As of now I am getting the BDS 6" lift (non-coilovers). My only question is the rear. I do not want a saggy ass on my truck. Any suggestions will help. Thanks!

OP
OP
jrmitt808

jrmitt808

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also another question...will I need wheel spacers with this lift? I plan on keeping the OEM wheels and just upgrade the tires.

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
All depends on the exact setup you want to go with. The entire combination of lift, wheels, and tires needs to be considered when talking about fitment.

Starting with the lift itself, you need to measure your truck to determine your stock rake. From there we can start looking at lift options. Typically if you just want the 6" lift without any additional lift on the front end (from either Bilsteins or coilovers) then you'll want the 3" rear coils to have a level truck. If you do want to add front end lift then you'll likely want the 5" rear coils.

Regarding your wheels and the need for spacers, that's all going to depend on what size tires you want to run. You can run up to a 295 wide tire on stock rims without spacers. Typically anything wide will require spacers. With a 6" lift and stock wheels I would highly recommend large spacers anyway to get a wider stance to make the truck look more proportional with the lift. xrsman's truck would be a good example of this.

OP
OP
jrmitt808

jrmitt808

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the reply. So after much research, thanks to this forum, I think I am going with the following:

6/5 BDS Base lift (w/ Fox 2.0 rear)
Bilstein Adjustable Shocks (Front)
35x12.50R20 Toyo A/Ts with the stock wheels.

No spacers, from my understanding with this height, the 35s should clear.

Now my only question is what to set my front end shocks at? I heard 1.4, 2.1, and 2.8. I feel 2.8 may have the front end sit higher so I am contemplating either a 1.4 or 2.1 stance?

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
You'll still need wheel spacers to clear the 35x12.5 tire on stock wheels. The height isn't the concern, it's the clearance between the tire and the upper A-arm/steering knuckle that will be your problem. Plus, as I stated above you'll want a wider stance to look proportional with the lift.
I'd recommend Motorsport Tech's 1.5" BORA spacers to give you a proportional look and the clearance you need.

All depends on your truck. Like I said above, you need to measure YOUR own truck to see how it's sitting stock. They're all slightly different from the factory. You'll likely need the Bilsteins at 2.1" to have it sitting level. But the measurements will confirm that.