Newbie from NYC. Modifying my intake and exhaust in hopes of gaining 100+whp :D

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Maximumrisk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Modifying my intake and exhaust in hopes of gaining 100+whp (Twin Turbo Project)

Hello everyone,
I am new here, my name is Waldo and I live in NYC. I own a 2005, Quad Cab SLT Ram (Daytona). I had told myself that I was not going to touch the truck but it has been 2 years :roflsquared: Anyways, the performance bug has bit me again I have have decided to twin turbo the truck.

so far, I have purchased a pair of GT30's and all the supporting hardware to fabricate the piping. I will use flipped (facing forward) OEM cast manifolds as they hug the block really well and will leave room for 3"downpipes without having to move too many thing around in the engine bay.
Progress and updates on this project will be a little slow as I will only be able to work on the truck one day a week, but i dont think it will be too difficult or too long of a project as there is a lot of room in the engine bay.

Tomorrow I will start by welding oil return fittings to the oil pan. I will not start on the headers until next week as I have not received the turbo (t3) flanges yet. Any questions or suggestions let me know.
I just love it when boxes start piling up in my basement, my wife not so much :naughty:
20150716_170913_zpsz6tbim9a.jpg
20150716_170900_zpsqxtivtry.jpg
20150713_104349_zpsf3zc0pep.jpg

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have to say... I'm a little jealous. Wish I knew how to do that.

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I seen this title an didn't really wanna open it. But was like **** it I could go for a laugh, glad I opened it haha. What you doing for tuning? I see you said your in nyc you going thru true street?

Idk of your on nadodge .com but if not you should post a build thread there as well. Lots of performance dodge guys there

OP
OP
M

Maximumrisk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I seen this title an didn't really wanna open it. But was like **** it I could go for a laugh, glad I opened it haha. What you doing for tuning? I see you said your in nyc you going thru true street?

Idk of your on nadodge .com but if not you should post a build thread there as well. Lots of performance dodge guys there

I am not going to lie, i was trolling a little with the title! LOL!
there is a guy in Long Island, NY his name is AJ , aka Hemituner and he is my first choice.

Thanks for the link to the site. I will check it out

Hemi Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4X4
Engine
Same here.... you trolled me in then..... BOOM! Pretty turbos!
No way would I do it to mine but I am certainly going to follow this build. Should be interesting to say the least.

Sent directly from my thoughts using tinfoil antennas and a stainless mixing bowl helmet.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I seen this title an didn't really wanna open it. But was like **** it I could go for a laugh, glad I opened it haha.

You and me both lol.
I see a Brembo brake caliper, looks like an LX/GC version. Are you planning on trying to adapt those to your truck, as they aren't a bolt on?

chefred112

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 QC 2wd
Engine
392 Hemi
hehe...I wasn't gonna open it either...but what the heck, it's Friday, poundin a brew... wanted to see whats up...and subscribe :)

OP
OP
M

Maximumrisk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, oil pan with welded return line fittings went in today. After removing the oil pan i found a nice surprise. The truck has Mahle pistons i think those are same as the 6.1 srt's as they have the chrysler logo cast onto them, another plus was that the pistons have a thermal coating on them (gold top seen with an inspection camera thru the spark plug hole) so that will probably allow me to run a psi or 2 extra boost!
anyways, header disassembly will start next week.

20150718_115850_zps05pvxrfr.jpg
20150718_170857_zpsomqntfqv.jpg

OP
OP
M

Maximumrisk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
as for the Brembos, those are JGC and 4x4, Quad Cab spindles. that is another project but it is currently on standby. they are like 60% fitted, but I put it in the back burner for a little bit as I want to do the turbos first while the weather is good

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
So the previous owner replaced the pistons? I wonder what else...

OP
OP
M

Maximumrisk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry i had not updated the thread. I have not been able to do anything turbo related as of yet, but i am starting today. The reason i had not done anything was that i came a across a SRT10 rear end decided to install that first.
I am hoping to at least get the exahust manifolds installed today. Wish me luck

Attachments

• 20150731_151355.jpg
    20150731_151355.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 199
OP
OP
M

Maximumrisk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wish I could come across things for my truck lol

@LightningRaper is parting out an SRT10 and he is local to me, I bought the rear from him.

Well, I made an assumption that just shows how much of a newbie I am to the Chrysler/Dodge brand!!! :whymewhyme: and is going to delay me yet another week.
For some reason I thought that the heads on these Hemis were interchangeable from left to right. WHen I tried to install the exhaust manifold from the driver side on the passenger side (outlet facing foward) I realized how wrong I was :idiot:. Now I am going to have to build a pair of foward facing headers which is not a terrible thing, but it will delay me once again as I have to order header flanges. Anyways, tune in next week, LOL!

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
What are you doing for the trans? The 545RFE doesn't like taking power too easily.

OP
OP
M

Maximumrisk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What are you doing for the trans? The 545RFE doesn't like taking power too easily.

I bought this truck used and i believe the previous owner might have had some form of power adder at some point. I have discovered a few things in the truck that lead me to believe i am correct about that.
I think the transmission might have had some work done to it as well. I will run it and hope for the best and if it blows then i will consider my options Either getting a built auto or maybe going to a viper spec 6 speed (if at all possible, have to research that)
I have a tr6060 6 speed in my turbo mustang and i absolutely love it! It would be nice if i could do something similar with this truck.

Gecko

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004, 2004
Engine
5.7L Hemi, 8.3L V10
AJ did my tune on my truck when I put the SC on it. He's one of the best there is. Also if you need a trans contact Hemidup. He probably builds the best auto trans for our trucks. He's running about 850 hp and his trans is still running lol

I'd love to see this thing in person when it gets done. I'm in North jersey. I've actually dealt with Matt (LightningRaper) as well and he's a good dude.

OP
OP
M

Maximumrisk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
AJ was recommended to me by a friend. All i have heard are positive things about the guy. Matt is a very cool guy, it was a positive experience dealing with him. As for the turbo build, i am having problems finding someone that sells a mild steel header flange. The only ones i have found are stainless. I like stainless but it is much more expensive than mild steel and using it would put a nice dent on my budget. I had plans to do this project at a max budget of 2k (using some leftover parts from other previous projects) but the oem manifold not fitting facing forward is going to put me over the budget especially if i have to go stainless.