Newbie...Need direction. 2/4 Drop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BKNBK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey, everybody! I am completely new to lowering. I have purchased a McGaughy's 94002 Drop Kit (spindle drop) from 3rd strike. My question is what all do I need to complete the drop? I haven't bought drop shocks yet. Do I need to and what should I buy?

Thanks!

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
Sorry I can't help but wanted to say "Welcome to the site!"

there should be someone along that can help ya

bigtigga84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would say yes, wouldn't hurt to upgrade the shocks anyway. But my ellelator is goin up not down. Hopefully Okla will see this and chime in

adamwilkes14

Reaction score
I dont think you will need drop shocks up front cause you are not changing the geometry of the stock suspension by using drop spindles...

Last edited:

jhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
i put same kit on my truck you dont need drop shocks or new ones the kit comes with relocators for back for stock shocks and spindles keeps the front the same, i would recomend new ones though, another thing to think about is you may run into the problem of tierod ends or ball joints needing to be replaced found out mine where bad when doing the drop so i changed everything including wheelbearings

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have the spindle kit on mine too... I will say yes you do need the drop shocks for the rear. Your stock shocks will work, but your truck will ride like a dump truck. I recommend gettin em for the front too. It will allow your truck to drop just a tad more. Also, either get some low profile bump stops in the rear or you can just take the OEM ones off, which is what I did. I went ahead and bought drop shocks for front and rear (Belltech Nitro Drop 2s) and took off the bump stops and my trucks rides a lot better than it did at stock height w/ stock shocks

OklaHemi

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
new age hemi
Yeah if you are going to it do it right. Jeff and hmq got I it right, you dont have too replace the shocks but I would. The bump stops are a must as well as an alignment as soon as the drop is installed. Oh and pics are mandatory

OP
OP
B

BKNBK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks everyone. I am waiting for my kit to arrive, as well as my new exhaust. I will check out the drop shocks.

One other question I have is will the factory 20's, tires fit? I assume they will, but would rather not have any unexpected problems.

Thanks!

jhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
they should fit, maybe slight rubbing when turning on inner wells ive got 285/50 on my stocks and 305 30 on my 26s which is close to stock size and they rub on turns very little

OP
OP
B

BKNBK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cool. I plan to upgrade to 22's sometime. Gotta get the front end conversion kit and some paint before that, though.

jhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
22s look good on these rams lowered you got a local place to buy or are you buying online?

OP
OP
B

BKNBK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Probably online. I haven't really looked a lot. I like the SRT 22, but not sure it will work or not. I think they're wider. Might rub more.

My truck is all black, looking to get all black wheels or black with machined face. The tires I get cheap. I'm a Continental / GT employee, so 40-50% discount comes in handy. Probably getting Grabber UHP's.

OP
OP
B

BKNBK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@Hemibabe:

Do you remember the part number for those Belltechs? I looked on Jegs and the only set listed for my truck says Belltech 8536 Nitro Drop 2 (rear). Is this the right one? Also, are the front and rear the same?

Thanks

OP
OP
B

BKNBK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Scratch that...I found a previous post of yours with the link. I also ordered new ball joints also.

OP
OP
B

BKNBK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, so I dropped the rear today. I have one question. The shock extender bracket-does it have to be installed if using drop shocks? I assume not, but thought I'd ask.

So far the install wasn't too bad. I took the overload leaf out as well. It's my 1st time, so it took me longer to figure it out, but it has been a success so far. I plan to finish by dropping the front, installing new BJ's (upper & lower) in the morning.

I will post pics when I get done tomorrow. Thanks for the help!

jhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
the extenders for shocks are for stock height shocks not needed for drop shocks