Newbie tow question(s)...help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Danny02453

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just purchased a certified 2015 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman 4*4 5'7 box crew cab. It has a 5.7 V8 Hemi 8HP70 trans with a 3.92 rear axel ratio. The sticker says it has a class 4 receiver and rear extra heavy-duty shocks. The sticker inside the door says the occupants and cargo cannot exceed 1192 lb. I did some research online and figured it could tow 10,000 lbs. I called Ram customer service and gave them the last nine or last six of my VIN and they said it could tow 10150 lbs with a tongue weight of 10% of that.

Based on that I wanted to buy a travel trailer. It is the bullet 2190ex. It has a dry weight of 4410 pounds and a payload of 1890lbs. It has a GVWR of 6000 pounds. The specs says it has a hitch weight of 560 lb.

I figured I was well under my tow weight and would be good.

I was cleaning my truck today and notice just under the license plate on the black part of the bumper it reads "5000 lb gross trailer weight max 500 lb Max tongue weight. Bumper only. Vehicle capacity may vary; refer to owners manual" . The owner's manual refers me to a website that shows towing capacity for 2017 and 2018 Rams.

Can I tow this travel trailer safely as is? The truck sticker also says it has trailer sway control and the truck has a tow/haul button.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thendrix

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Do you have a trailer brake controller? If not do not try to pull that trailer until you do. If you have a brake controller and a 7 pin connector then your truck should handle that trailer. It will be a load in a 1/2 ton but it should pull. I highly suggest using a weight distribution hitch. The 500lbs and 5000lbs ratings on your bumper are for your bumper. If you have a receiver hitch then these numbers don't mean anything.

OP
OP
D

Danny02453

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thendrix thank you for taking the time to reply. The truck came with both the 4 pin and 7, but no brake controller. Do you have a recommendation for a wdh for this truck and trailer?

BlkZrx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 SLT Std. cab
Engine
Hemi 6.4
You can pull that trailer quite easily. I recommend an Equalizer weight distribution hitch and a Prodigy aftermarket brake controller. A good RV center can fix you up..

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
It’s not critical but helpful and provides the ability to immediately stop trailer sway. Any dealership can install & download the software for a factory TBC. Most would recommend that over an aftermarket TBC.

As to WDH You might also consider the Andersen or a Blue Ox Sway Pro or Husky Centerline. Each has pros n cons but will do the job well. Shop etrailer.

Ideally set your WDH per CAT scale results making load & hitch adjustments per Mfg instructions. Normally you set tongue weight to about 12 percent of your loaded trailer weight. This is a once & done thing when you get the numbers in line. Then you know your rig will tow safe & stable for your family.

BTW lots of good info here if you take some time to read existing threads in this section.

Last edited:

Thendrix

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If you're buying a TT from a dealer then they can help you with a brake controller, wdh, and would probably deal some on the hitch with the trailer purchase (the dealer I bought from did anyway). Follow Vern's suggestions and take it easy and you'll be fine. Give yourself a little extra room around other vehicles and a little extra time to stop and plan to make your turns a little wider.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
That info on load rating you listed aborve was for a bumper pull where you aren't using the Class IV hitch.

You'll be fine towing that trailer as long as:

1. You use the receiver hitch.
2. You use an anti-sway weight distributing hitch (WDH) setup on the trailer.
3. You install a brake controller. There is a lot of good info here in the Towing & Hauling section on what works best. It may be you already have the connector behind the dash for an OEM unit.
4. The trailer you are contemplating has brakes.

You might experience a bit of squat with the trailer hitched, which the WDH package will help with. If you need more leveling, consider some airbags for the rear.