Nightmare installing airlift 1000

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
OK. So I went out to jamboree in the hills on Thursday and got back last night to NY. Wed night got the bags installed but I was mother fing for a while. The first one (drivers side) went in really easy. Second I had a hell of a time so threw some wd40 on that helped. Anyway, the hardest part was trying to get the hose on the bags. Wheels were in the air. There just isn't much clearance for my hands and I'm a thin guy. I tried to work it on best I could and think I got it on good enough. Should I have put the hose on first? I took the wheel off but that didn't help without removing the plastic in the wheel wells which i didn't bother with to make it easier.Then the tee fitting leaked which they sold me a metal one(no clamps needed) from sdtruck springs. Supposedly should be a better fitting then the plastic that came with the bags. But I had to use the plastic one . so anyway noticed a huge improvement in the ride. I was probably pulling close to 8000 pound s. You can see s pic of my toy hauler if you look at my last post. The 1500ram with 3.92 pulled it like a champ and I got about 10mpg averaging 65or70 in hills. The transmission temp. never went over 180 on the hills and usually stays around low to mid 170's. this is in PA . I think I lost about 5psi on bags on the way back. Is that something to be concerned about. I didn't bother checking for leaks cause I don't see how that's possible at the air bag connection. The tee isn't leaking any more. Thanks

Last edited:

StevoTee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I fished the air line through the top of the spring, installed on the nipple, and then inserted the airbag into the spring. Was way easier than trying to do it from the top. I don't even see how they think that's a good way to install it.

As for the T, didn't use it, ran separate airlines.

OP
OP
C

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
That's what I figured but it was a little late by then.

Detroit3000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I used to have the airlift 1000's before I swapped them out for something else. On both installs I ditched the line and fittings that came with both kits and used Parker air line and Parker push to connect fittings. Never lost any air with the airlifts or with the new set up and that's with an inboard compressor and solenoid dump valve (so I have a lot of fittings)

OP
OP
C

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Is the one they sent me a Parker: the one end is loose and won't hold the hose so I had to use the plastic piece

Attachments

• IMG_20140716_112026_522.jpg
    IMG_20140716_112026_522.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

Detroit3000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is what mine look like

20140722_173511.jpg

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Sorry to hear you had issues. I never used any WD and I put the lines on after putting the bags in. It worked okay for me always held air. I did not use the T did 2 lines.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Between my initial install, changing lines on both bags (my fault/choice) and then changing the bags (faulty valve- doh!) I can tell you cutting the provided line in half and fishing it down through the top of the spring tower and pushing it in the bag nipple BEFORE, is wayyyyyy easier.
Trying to push the line onto the bag while in the coils nearly had me in tears (think 2 hours, cold, truck half in/half out of garage) of frustration.

OP
OP
C

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Exactly! I wish I knew now that you should attach hose first. I didn't see that mentioned anywhere (youtube, forums, etc). There is just no clearance to get a GOOD grip on the hose so you can work it on well and then clamp it on top of that. Mine are all of the sudden not holding any air. I filled them up yesterdayt to 32 and they are empty less than a day later. I am pulling them off /returning them and trying the timbrens. If they don't work well for me, ill go back to the airlifts and know what to expect. Ill make sure I use better hose, etc. Or maybe ill trade my truck in for a 2500! At least they got me through my trip

Between my initial install, changing lines on both bags (my fault/choice) and then changing the bags (faulty valve- doh!) I can tell you cutting the provided line in half and fishing it down through the top of the spring tower and pushing it in the bag nipple BEFORE, is wayyyyyy easier.
Trying to push the line onto the bag while in the coils nearly had me in tears (think 2 hours, cold, truck half in/half out of garage) of frustration.

Sweetee

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Sorry to hear that some of you are having challenges with Airlift 1000. I just finished my install and it went nicely. I did thread the the hoses down from on top and tie-wrapped the top protector to the top of the coil spring. I collapsed the bag like a hot dog bun with tie-wraps(top and bottom) and then attached the hose and clamps.

I followed several other's suggestions and supported the truck with jack stands just ahead of the suspension mounts. The diff dropped down so that the springs were fully extended. I think I could have wrestled them out if I tried, but was able to push the compressed bags between the coils. After I got them in, I clipped the tie-wrap on the protector and then clipped the tie-wraps on the bags starting with the top. The bags self- inflated. I was able to position them at the bottom of the spring before I removed the jack stands.

25 hours later, they are holding pressure. I have a Bedrug and a Leer topper and so far like about 20 lbs. I may drop to 15 lbs. for the weekend to see if that is any different.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
If I may... the wheel well liners come out really easy (just watch for the hidden screw in the front ) and give you clear access into the upper area of the coils. Might sound like extra work but it saves a pile of swearing. Just a suggestion.

Whoop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I took the wheel well liners out and heated up the end of the air line with a heat gun to make it pliable.... Slid on like butter... Works flawless... 5psi during the week and 30 when towing my 27' camper on the weekend

StevoTee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I run 5 PSI daily and when towing air them up to 30 PSI when we hook the Shamrock on.

OP
OP
C

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Ill have the timbrens on Monday. If they are anything like the 1000s ill keep them. I really don't want to mess with putting air in when I tow or maintaining 5psi. If they suck, ill go back to the 1000s and deal with it but ill know how to install them easily this time. But I have read good reviews on the timbrens too

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye