No heat on driver side

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vernon H

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have a 2008 Dodge ram 5.7 hemi. My heat recently stopped working so I have been reading information on how to fix it. I have flush the heater core twice flush the radiator and replace the water pump. I am getting decent heat on the passenger side but still nothing on the driver side. Before I replace the water pump I did have heat on both sides when the engine was on Idol but when I Drive the truck for about five minutes all heat would be gone. That is when I replaced the water pump and now it blows decent on passenger but still nothing on driver side. Can someone tell me if it is the heater core still clogged up? Or what else could it be?

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It sounds as if your problem is the HVAC blend door. It's a common fault where the blend door actuator fails and does not direct the HVAC flow correctly.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It sounds as if your problem is the HVAC blend door. It's a common fault where the blend door actuator fails and does not direct the HVAC flow correctly.
Yeah, if you're getting heat on the passenger side but not the driver side it's a blend door issue. They had a recall on the grand caravans for that exact same issue. It could be that that side is just stuck, slap you're dash a couple of times it might be enough to jar it loose and you may never have the problem again. My wife's 2012 GC did that and I slapped the dash and it came loose, never had the problem again, her 2015 never had the problem but they had a recall so I had the dealer take a look at it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
V

Vernon H

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Now I am getting decent heat on passenger side and luke warm on driver side. It’s not as hot as it should be. I checked the blend door in the front under the center console but it’s a dual zone and the other heat/cool blend door is unreachable. One guy is saying heater core could still be clogged. I need someone who has had this same issue.

xtremewlr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
According to the Heater Treater guys, blend door failures for a dual zone system is pretty uncommon, so your blend doors are probably good. I'd try cleaning the heater core again, using the spray foam cleaning stuff that is available specifically for this. Heater Treater also has a good write up on cleaning and flushing the heater core that you might want to read through.

http://heatertreater.net/heater-core

I have the single zone system and will be replacing all the doors in it since at least one of them have failed now. I'm also going to flush the core and got a couple of cans of this stuff to do that with.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002EAKX88

OP
OP
V

Vernon H

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thanks man I have actually read that heater treater info on the core flush. Just haven’t had time to leave the Prestone radiator flush in as long as I would like. I will also look into the foam spray. Thanks again!!

G8rDuc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just a FYI, I have the same issue and it's the A/C control switch. When mine was bad, I would have to slide the temp slide back and forth and it would finally work. Replaced it and voila.....blend doors are an uncommon problem with the dual zone.