Non LSD to LSD?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So my 1500 QC is a non LSD. I want to first ask, why do they make trucks to only spin one rear tire? To me it seems like it's not useful at all?

With that what would be the process to change mine to a LSD? I got new ring and pinion gears that need to get installed and thought if it doesn't break budget might as well have shop do that to it as well.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Open diffs are used because they are strong, simple, and cheap. Both tires still apply power to the ground but if one looses traction, all the power gets transferred to that loose tire. Not really a concern on the road under normal conditions.

If your already in there you might as well have the shop install a auburn LSD or a detriot trutrac. The auburn uses clutch disks to transfer power while the turtrac uses spherical gears.

Reactions: CKH

Motorcharge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
On an open differential on a solid axle power is split 50/50 between the two wheels. When you lose traction on one tire you're only getting half the resistance you were before so the engine stops producing as much torque because it thinks you've got less resistance to being able to move.

Limited slip or a locked differential changes that. Limited slip sends some of that power to the wheel it sense losing traction so that you can grip better. A locked differential sends 100% power at all times to both wheels which is great for off road but no so much for on road because it interferes with turning, especially at higher speeds. There's different kinds of lockers that you can use on road but I won't get into all that.

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm such a noob, when you say open diff are you referring to a LSD? Also out of those two options would you pick?

Edit: So does my truck have both wheels spin, it's just one spins more when other slips? I thought when I did a burn out awhile ago I only had one tire mark.

reelop19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Open is not an LSD. Stick with what you got

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
A open differential will spin the one wheel with the least traction. Limit slip differential is just that, it limits the spin of the tire with least amount of traction to normally cause both wheels to spin. Some Limit Slip differentials are tighter than others and approach having the characteristics of a locker. A locker is as it's name implies locks both wheels together regardless of traction and will only unlock to turn if power is not applied. My DDT will also lock the wheels in a tight turn if I apply sufficient power much like a locker. Also, Lockers are known for making a clicking noise when they turn (unlocked). IMO, if you have a open differential and simply want traction, drop in a lunch box locker which takes a couple hours in the driveway without having to do a gear setup by using the OEM "open" differential. If you are replacing the gears then you have all the options of what differential to use. Do your research and you won't be disappointed with the results.

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yea my gears will be getting changed to 4:56 I believe I have laying on my floor. So I see one person saying stick with the one wheel spin, what do you other guys suggest?

rustydagger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 with K&N CAI and Diablosport Trinity Tuner
Definitely LSD.
A one wheel wonder is no fun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Notsobroke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I plan on upgrading my gears to 4.56s soon as the snow melts, and yes LSD is a must as traction will be a issue with the old one wheel peel.

CKH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
If you are having new gears installed, go with an LSD unit. There are several options as stated above. Since the diff will be apart anyway, there shouldn't be any added labor costs associated with it, just the cost of the LSD unit. I recently rebuilt my stock trac-loc with new clutches when I did my rear end rebuild. I probably would have gone with a Detroit truetrac if I had the extra cash laying around.