Noob question about speakers

Discussion in 'Audio & Electronics' started by usaf2006, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Bullitt5339

Bullitt5339 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    I hope they fixed those quirks in the 4200, since that's what I'm supposedly getting for XMas from my oldest son.

2. Lil_Ram

Lil_Ram Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Power tech 3.7L
    The rears are 5.25" speakers and they require removing the bucket and pillars to get too super big pain but they sound better since they're right next to you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

usaf2006 likes this.
  3. JPT

JPT Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2015 Big Horn
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    Even if they didn't, you wont be upset at all. Every once in a while you have to disconnect your phone and reconnect it. I'm 100% glad I got it, even with the quirks. I use mine daily as I commute 26 miles each way to work. GPS and Podcasts apps are my go to, and my phone is always fully charged!

Bullitt5339 likes this.
  4. usaf2006

usaf2006 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    I use Straight Talk so i have unlimited Data, which would make it nice. I'll be updating my phone in a few months too.. Maybe it'd be a good time to do it all at once. How hard is the install?

5. JPT

JPT Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2015 Big Horn
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    I went to PC Richards (like a best buy), they have free installs. I brought in the metra trim piece so they had it for the install (I got mine on Amazon, but crutchfield sells it much cheaper).

I'm not sure how difficult the job is, but I know there is some cutting of the dash.

If you may change phones, you might want to consider a unit like mine that has Android Auto & Apple CarPlay not just one or the other. This way if you switch platforms you are good to go.

usaf2006 likes this.
  6. Bullitt5339

Bullitt5339 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Your commute is the exact same mileage as mine.

7. usaf2006

usaf2006 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Thanks for the info man, I appreciate it.

8. Core-Lokt

Core-Lokt Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2005 Ram 2500 4X4 ST
    Engine:
    5.7L
    The basic install isn't especially difficult. As JPT mentioned, you have to cut out the back pf the inner plastic dash liner to accommodate the depth of a double-DIN. The Metra bezel requires popping off the center dash cover, removing the plastic welds retaining the stock bezel and screwing the new bezel (with included spacers) to the center dash cover. Additionally, there might need to be some relieving of the HU opening if the dimensions are slightly oversize, as I had to. None of this requires power tools.

It gets a little more difficult if trying to integrate some factory options into a new HU. It *might* necessitate interface modules to make stuff work. And if your intended HU has features like navigation/camera/DVR, you'll need to wire for all that. You can see some of the stuff in my thread about Android HUs.

Data? I have an Android HU, which is far more capable, if tedious. I've never used more than 2 GB of data, even with watching TV. I can't say what apps Android Auto/CarPlay have, but some streaming radio apps have selectable bitrate playback; good for data management or when signal is spotty. IIRC, I've got TuneIn on 128 KB and PC Radio on 64 KB.

But yeah, it's definitely within DIY means if you want to. Even if you get someone to install it, you'll love the multimedia capabilities.

usaf2006 likes this.
  9. usaf2006

usaf2006 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    That's exactly what I want I'm the end. Thanks! I'll be sure to check out your thread.

10. JPT

JPT Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2015 Big Horn
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    To add to Core-Lokt stated. The Pioneer units like mine have a detachable face, which adds an extra layer of complexity with the fitting. Because the Metra trim piece fits almost perfectly with the face of the HU, and the 4100 or newer 4200 have a motorized screen angle (if you use it, mine is set to flat), removing and reinstalling the face plate requires the HU placement to be just right. I did have to bring it back to my installer to get him to adjust it as it was impossible for me to put the face plate back on in the initial position.

After he adjusted it, the fit is tight (removal and reinstall of the face plate), but works.

usaf2006 likes this.